chapter twelve :: patience is a virtue

The images of what I've done replay in my mind like a bad rerun

The images of what I've done replay in my mind like a bad rerun. You've seen it many times to know the plot by heart, but the sight of it makes you sick. You want to move on, to see something else — anything else — but they only play that episode.

But instead of some cheesy sitcom, all I see in my head is blood and flesh and teeth.

I can't escape it. I'm held hostage with no ransom to pay. I've tried drinking, but there is not enough whiskey in the world to drown out the screams. So, I sit at my desk, staring at the Jackson case file for hours. I flip through the pages about the murders, reading the autopsies and crime scene transcripts over and over. I reach the end of the file and start back over again. But no amount of staring will silence the short films playing in my mind.

There used to be a time when I wanted to know what happened. I was so desperate to get my memories back. But I remember everything with Reese.

Reese. I shut my eyes and I see his face. But it's quickly washed away with the blood. His blood. I stabbed him. I fucking stabbed him. When his body hit the floor, I kept stabbing him. I stabbed until my arms hurt. Until his whispering stopped. And then I waited to bring him to the lake.

No. I shake my head. I can't go there. I need to stop thinking about it. My hands find the file before me and I think of Jackson. His face enters my mind with that cocky grin of his. Oh, how I loathe it. But as much as it pains me, he's the only source of information I have.

He's the only one who knows what's happening to me.

I shove my folder under my arm and grab my keys. I hate that I'm doing what he wants, but if this is the only way, then I'll just have to suck it up.

 I hate that I'm doing what he wants, but if this is the only way, then I'll just have to suck it up

By the time the guards bring Jackson in, I'm already seated. He waltzes in and smiles eagerly. I don't bother giving him the pleasure. But when his eyes search the room, his grin falls.

"What is it?" I ask him with a tilt of my head. "Were you hoping for something?"

His gaze finds me and he halts. The guards stop. "What —?"

"Yeah, it sucks doesn't it?" I laugh dryly. "I was disappointed when you left before answering my questions."

"I said to bring the file," he says lowly, a dark look shadowing his face.