Loving Merlin

Everyone loved Merlin. Except for Merlin.

-

The young and single mother who lived in a dying part of Camelot loved Merlin. She loved how he stopped by every so often with food and old clothes for her and her son.

"Merlin, come in!"

"Good afternoon, Lilliana. It's nice to see you." Merlin entered the house with a warm smile and arms full of clothes and food. "I've got stuff to restock your home."

"Merlin!" A nine-year-old boy, Lincoln, ran out of his room and wrapped his arms around Merlin's legs. Merlin laughed and handed the supplies off to Lilliana so he could hug Lincoln back.

"Hey, Link, how've you been?" Merlin always enjoyed seeing the young boy. It made him feel warm and happy.

"Great! I've missed you." Merlin chuckled and returned the sentiment. The hug ended when Lilliana shooed Link away, scared he might overwhelm Merlin.

"Oh, you don't understand how grateful I am that you do this for us." Lilliana stared at the bread, fruits, and cheese sitting on an open cloth on top of a pile of random clothing. "I can never repay you."

"You don't have to. Just stay alive and healthy for me." Merlin have Lilliana a quick hug and quiet assurance.

"I hate you leave so soon but the King'll have my head if I don't get his lunch soon. I'll be back next week."

"Okay. Lincoln come say bye to Merlin." The young boy ran out from wherever he ventured off to and once again threw his arms around the warlock's legs.

"Thank you, Merlin. I love you!" Merlin patted Link on the back with such kind eyes and a loving smile.

"Love you, too, Link." He glanced up at a teary Lilliana. "You, too, Lilliana. I love you." The woman gasped lightly and smiled. She opened her arms for Merlin with a few tears on her cheeks.

"Oh, you're too good to us."

Merlin left feeling appreciated and like he had made a good difference in the household.

-

Morgana sat in her chambers with sadness hanging over her. It wasn't uncommon to see her crying endlessly into her hands after what happened with her sister. Morgana had a lot of guilt and trauma welling up inside her. She tried to be strong but some days it was just too much.

Merlin walked down the hall with a slight sway in his step. He was humming a soft tune that his mother used to sing him when he heard the crying. Merlin stopped quickly and got a bit closer to the door. The crying was loud and horrid.

Merlin knocked softly and got a gasp and strained "come in!"

Morgana was hunched over her table with her hands pushed against her eyes. When the door opened, she whipped around and stared at Merlin with a strained smile and damp eyes.

"Hello, Merlin, how are you?" Merlin took a few hesitant steps towards Morgana.

"I'm good, how're you? And please, don't say you're alright because I know you aren't."

Morgana's lip quivered slightly bitter she managed to pull herself together. "I've just been thinking about Morgause and how I-," she cut herself off, nervous of starting to cry again.

"Hey, you did what you needed to." Merlin squatted in front of Morgana and have her the smallest, most kind smile he could. "You saved Camelot," Merlin paused for a moment, "you saved me."

"I love you, Merlin. You're the best friend I've ever had." Morgana lunged forward and wrapped her arms around Merlin's neck. Merlin laughed as he almost fell backwards.