Interview 2: SpruceWolf

Congratulations to SpruceWolf for winning second place in our January prompt contest!  If you love anything wolf, we got just the best girl for you. 

Who is @SpruceWolf? What can you tell us about yourself? 

I'm a short wolf-obsessed girl who spends her time writing, reading, daydreaming, and avoiding schoolwork. I like being outside, with trees and sunshine and all that, but when given the choice most days I'd rather hide up in my room and read. Fantasy is my specific favourite, since I love to escape into new and exciting worlds. Because the real world sucks. 

I'm also one of those strange people who like both writing and maths, because my mind can't decide whether it's creative or logical. Oh, and I'm a major introvert. People are scary.

What or who inspired you to write?

To be quite honest, I'm not sure. I've wanted to write books pretty much from the moment I knew what they were. It's always been a dream of mine. But I guess actual novel writing - like books that were more than one chapter - began a couple years ago, when I started helping a friend with something she was writing. It was the tiny spark of inspiration I needed to start properly writing.

Who influenced your writing style?

I think my style is a culmination of various writers I've seen, all chucked together and smoothed out with a tiny dash of silver wolf magic. But one who springs to mind is the author of the Wings of Fire series. The whole idea of inner thoughts and the way things are described I think relate to my style quite well.

 What is the title of your major work and what made you decide to write your story?

My major work is called Shadewylf, and it is the first book of what will eventually be the Wylfven trilogy. It is a rewrite of a nearly-completed trilogy called ShadowWolf. It's set in a world full of wolves, which is probably where my wolf obsession stems since I spend so much time immersed in that world. 

ShadowWolf will always be particularly special for me, because it's the first story idea I've ever had that actually worked on the page. As soon as it began formulating in my head, I knew I had to write it. The words needed to exist. Nearly two years on, after lots of rewriting and getting very stuck, I'm doing the whole thing again. Last time I was writing just to get the ideas into works, for me. I guess now I want to polish it up so others can explore my world, too.

Is there a particular message you want to convey to your readers through your story?

I suppose I wanted to convey that there is no such thing as beginnings and endings. As one thing ends, another begins. Just like with a story - there are always events that have already happened, and that will happen afterwards. I think. That sort of makes sense.

How about your ShadowWolf book? Is there a particular message or theme to that book?

The whole theme is about equality, to put it simply. How one thing shouldn't define what you are in your entirety - make you good or evil, strong or weak. Anyone can be a hero if they want to be, the same way that anyone can fall into being a villain. I also like the simple message of not giving up. There's always hope, even in darkness. But then again, my book is also about fluffy wolves with magic powers. Take it as whatever you like.

Check out her stories for more fluffy wolves with magic!  We all need fuzz therapies in our lives.  😂