Learning Anatomical Terms in a Fun Way!

By: AyeshaArshad14

It was off time and Jenn, a first year Medical student, got totally exhausted after attending his college. He took a seat on his College bus and reached home. He found the home empty, took out his lunch from the refrigerator and ate in a hurry. After getting fresh, he slumped onto his bed and went into a deep sleep. Jenn woke up to the sound of his alarm, which he set for 5:00 PM. After getting fresh, he went downstairs to find his parents having tea.

"Good Evening son! How was your day today?" his Dad asked.

"Good evening Mom, Dad! It was mostly a theory day, so kind of boring," he replied, taking a seat.

"Good evening! It has only been a week of you going to the College, so exhaustion is a major factor. You'll get used to it," his Mom said while pouring him a cup of tea.

"Jenn, it's going to be your first lesson of Medical studies with me. Which topic do you want to start with?" his Dad asked.

"I want to get a grip on the basic terminologies of Anatomy," he replied, taking a biscuit off the plate.

"Alright, let's finish the tea first. You're never going to forget the lessons with me," his Dad winked.

"I hope they're fun," Jenn said, laughing out.

"You'll see for yourself, boy," his Dad smiled.

"Let's get going then. I'm getting curious about your teaching style in terms of Medical."

"Alright, bring out your textbook and meet me on the lawn," his Dad said.

"LAWN?" Jenn asked with a look of surprise.

"Yes, hurry up. Don't waste time now," his Dad replied.

Jenn hurriedly brought out his textbook and met his Dad on the lawn.

"So, we're going to study all the basic terms along with planes and axes today. Okay?" his Dad said.

"Alright!"

Jenn took a seat on one of the chairs in the lawn, that his Dad said in a loud voice, "Stand up Jenn, you're not allowed to sit."

"What? Are we going to study standing?"

"Yes, what is the Anatomical position?"

"Oh I get it. Anatomical position is the standard position of the body from which we can tell the location of any organ in the body."

"Right! Now, stand in the anatomical position Jenn."

Jenn stood up looking forward. His body erect, with arms by the side of the body and palms facing forwards.

"Is that right, Dad?"

"Turn your feet slightly outwards. That's the correct position."

"Why do we need it though?"

"There are many positions of the body a person might adopt, and it wouldn't be easy to explain the location of an organ in general, without having a standard position. Whenever we talk about the location of an organ in the body, we always give reference to another organ. For example, if I talk about the location of the heart in the body, I will say the heart is superior to kidneys and for that I need to allot a standard position which is called the anatomical position of the body. Your body should be erect, arms by the side of your body, palms facing forwards, face looking straight ahead and feet turned slightly outwards."

"Got it Dad."

"Perfect! Now let's move onto the planes and axes. Planes are imaginary lines that divide a body into two parts to study the body easily. Tell me, how many planes are there?"