8

Since her arrival, Loki has refused to leave Sigyn's side. Steve could help but question what kind of relationship they'd had before Loki tried to conquer Earth. She had been doing most of the toddler care since she arrived and was the best of them.

The Avengers were all sitting around the dining table, Thor and Vision in the living room watching a movie. They tried to get Loki to watch the film too, but unsurprisingly he chose to stick by Sigyn's side.

"So, these Norn Stones are important, huh?" Tony asked, biting his lip, knowing what the answer would be.

"Yes. Incredibly so."

Loki was sat in Sigyn's lap, looking at the note his older self had written to her. They were all hoping it would trigger something: anything. So far, it hadn't. Sigyn sighs when Loki tries to push the small paper into his mouth, taking it from him and placing it out of reach. Loki grumbles not knowing what they all want him to do with the paper they keep handing him.

"We need to focus on motive if we want to find the person who took the stones," Clint says.

"Okay... getting Loki off the throne is an obvious power grab but it doesn't explain Thor." Tony thought aloud.

"We can suppose Thor was caught in the crossfire," Natasha suggested.

"Yes, but that still leaves a who? Lots of people want Asgard's throne." Sigyn says, letting Loki play with her many rings. Steve couldn't help but notice one in particular.

"I apologise if this isn't my place, but are you married?" Steve asked nodding to the gold band around her finger. Sigyn smiles but shakes her head.

"I was... a long time ago. It was political and something that wasn't really going to last."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"I keep the ring to remember the person he was when he gave it to me, not the man he turned into." She says, giving a small smile when Steve looks like he's about to apologise again. Loki is also looking up at Sigyn sadly now as if what she had said hurt him.

They all try to move on quickly. Sigyn helps Bruce and Tony figure out an accurate way of tracking the energy of the stones, and Clint and Natasha leave to brief Fury. Loki has been placed in Steve's arms, and for once he's not fighting to get back to Sigyn's. The toddler turns and lays his head against Steve's shoulder, wide awake and eerily quiet.

It's not until later that day that it looks like Tony and Sigyn's plan to track the stones looks like it may work. They keep getting something on the map before disappearing over and over again. Tony's confident it just needs a little tinkering however Sigyn and the rest of the team can't help but notice there new problem.

The signals kept popping up sporadically around New York.

Tony can't tell if the signals are jumping around because the stones are moving or if it's because the Norn Stones are separated. Both can only mean bad things. Steve gets up leaving Loki with Wanda, Vision and Thor in the living room. He needs to call Sam for a Bucky update anyway.

Loki presses himself against Thor's side on the floor as the latter draws in the Iron Man colouring book Tony graciously bought him. Thor offers Loki some of his crayons silently. Still, Loki shakes his head, looking towards the elevator every now and then.

Thor doesn't notice when Loki takes one of his crayons and starts writing on a restaurant napkin that was left on the coffee table. The toddler has been having more and more moments of clarity you could say. He obviously knows who the Avengers are but certain points in time like the days before he was send to Midgard with Thor are absent from his mind; as well as Thor's. However, Loki keeps having these moments where his adult self is able to take control for only a couple seconds. It hasn't happened a lot but it's proof that Loki is trying to fight off the spell.

Like right now, Loki knows not to waste time trying to find someone. He's trying to connect the dotes as quickly as possible before he forgets again. Loki scribbling letters on the napkin trying to spell something. He can't remember exactly what, but he's getting closer.

"Amora?" Thor asks tilting his head like a puppy. Loki looks up at him startled looking back down at the napkin surprised. He smiles, taking the napkin and running off to find Sigyn.

Friday takes him down to the lab where  she's alerted Sigyn of his arrival. He quickly shoved the napkin up at her, the smile still on his face.

However she doesn't look happy when she reads it and Loki can't figure out why.

He remembered something after all...