10

It's easy to distance yourself from the reality of the situation. Still, there are other moments when you're forced to remember that these two children in your care are hundreds of year old gods. They have power beyond most human comprehension, and yet there were rendered helpless by a new enemy. Bruce can look at Loki and simply see a hurt child, but Loki is still very dangerous. He weaponizes his intelligence and tricks people into playing the part he needs them to. Right now, all that might mean is manipulating for a little extra ice cream after dinner, but Bruce knows better than to let his guard down too much.

The scientist sets down a bowl of cooked beets and butter in front of Loki. They're his favorite, and Bruce isn't going to question the boy's love of winter roots. They've been trying to cheer up the toddler since they've gotten back from the park, and beets usually do the trick. Thor has gone on like all is normal, not nearly as affected by Sigyns leaving.

The toddler smiles, picking up a piece of the beets, and stuffing it in his mouth. Bruce counts this as a win.

The elevator doors pull open, and Natasha, Clint, and Steve all file into the kitchen, probably coming from the gym. Natasha starts making herself lunch, and Steve smiles at Loki who's mouth and chin and slowly being stained pink by the beets. The two-year-old picked up a piece of the root and holds it out towards Steve, who takes it graciously. Loki does the same to Clint next, who smiles tightly but eats it anyway to appease the boy, who smiles.

"You hate beets," Natasha says, smirking at her friend as he scowls at her.

"Shut up."

She chuckles but turns her attention back to the sandwich she's making. "Either if you want one?" She offers, looking over at the other three adults in the room. Clint accepts while the other two politely decline. Steve goes to sit next to Loki at the small table in the corner. He says small, but it would fit the six comfortably. It's round and glass with a steel base: sleek and modern like a lot of the tower. It's set in front of the large windows looking over New York City. Loki is staring out at the cityscape with curious eyes. It's snowing lightly as New Yorker buzz around on the streets below, not bothered by the change in weather. Loki points out the window and looks up expectantly at Steve.

"Use your words Loki," Steve says. The toddler rolls his eyes.

"Can we go outside?" Loki asks, finishing the rest of his lunch. Steve tried to wipe away the pink on Loki's face, but it useless. There get it later.

"Sure, wanna go put on some warmer clothes," Steve says, picking Loki up and walking the empty bowl to the sink.

"No, don't need to." He insists. For once, Steve simply gives rather than argue. He won't let him be out for long, and he's already wearing long sleeves.

Thor comes running out of the elevator with Vision and Wanda hot in his trail. They look exhausted, but Wanda smiles at Thor's enthusiasm as he cheers and points out the window at the storm.

"Look, brother, it's snowing!" Thor cheers, running up to the window to get a better look.

"Steeb says we can go outside!" Loki says, bouncing excitedly in Steve's arms.

"Yes, but shoes first." Wanda and Steve take them up to their room to put on their shoes before bringing them out to the big balcony on the side of Avengers Tower. It's covered in a sheer amount of snow. Still, Thor and Loki take full advantage of it: gathering it in their hands and throwing it up in the air and then eventually at each other.

Steve winces when Thor slips on some ice but relaxes again when Thor gets right back up and charges after Loki, who can't even be bothered enough to try and stop laughing. Thor is trying to be angry at his little brother but can't help smiling at the younger boy's delight.

After Thor gets Loki pinned, they both stare and watch the snowfall. It only ever snows in Asgards mountains, and the Princes rarely got the chance to see it growing up. They'd seen in other Realms, but never truly got to appreciate the beauty of it.

"Told you it was beautiful," Thor whispers, looking up at the new york sky. Loki nods, not wanting to tear his eyes away. He loves how the cold flacks feel on his skin and how snow is getting caught in his eyelashes. He doesn't feel Thor staring at him till he speaks.

"Please show me," he asks. However, vague this sounds to Steve and Wanda, Loki nows exactly what Thor is asking.

"Show you what?" Loki's face is blank, and Thor frown at him, putting his hands on Loki's face to make the younger look at him.

"Your true form, I wish to see it."

Thor hardly expects this to work, but the weather must have put Loki in a better mood than he thought.

Loki closes his eyes and lets his Aesir form shimmer away in green light as cobalt blue skin is revealed and ruby red eyes. Thor's eyes widen, causing Loki to flinch; they both ignore the other two Avengers gasps. Thor lets his fingers lightly trace over the ley lines on Loki's skin, slightly surprised when he isn't burned. Loki seems to be equally surprised. Thor notices for the first time small horns that are almost entirely hidden by Loki's hair and reach up to touch them. The jotun pushing his head into the touch, not expecting it to feel as lovely as it does.

They both remember they're not alone when Wanda speaks up.

"You look so handsome, Loki," She smiles. Loki looks at them both nervously and surprisingly decides to stay in his jotun form. They don't stay outside for much longer when Steve notices Thor is quite obviously getting pretty cold.

Loki holds his arms up at Steve, and the captain doesn't hesitate to lift him into his arms. The toddler leans his head against the man's chest as they all head inside. Loki giggles when Clint chokes on some of his drink when he sees the miniature frost giant.