Chapter 1

Izuku was working a late shift again, something he seemed to be doing more and more often lately.

He was twenty years old, putting himself through college and trying to take care of his mother. Ever since his father died, she had been going off the rails. She went out every night and slept everyday. She always found a way to get money, presumably stealing from Izuku, but he didn't mind, even if it meant he couldn't get himself groceries for a few more days.

It was late. Around eleven thirty, if Izuku had to take a guess. There weren't many clocks in the cafe where he worked, and the few they had weren't in sight. He was working on homework, seeing as there were no customers in sight.

He abruptly looked up as the bell above the door chimed, indicating the arrival of someone. Sluggishly walking in and up to the counter, was a tall, purple haired man, with some of the darkest bags under his eyes Izuku had ever seen. Which was waying something, seeing as Izuku worked at a cafe near a college.

"Hi sir, what can I get you?" Izuku asked with a tired smile. He had been up since six a.m. for a class and then had to come straight to work. All he wanted at that moment was for twelve to roll around, so he could go home and get some sleep.

"A black coffee with seven shots of espresso." He said with a monotone voice.

Izuku stared back at him with wide eyes, baffled by his order. "Um, sir? The limit on espresso shots is five." He said hesitantly, holding up five fingers.

Anger flared in the, so far, expressionless man. "I didn't ask what the limit was. I said a black coffee with seven shots of espresso. Now." He bit back, clearly not in the mood to be having an arguement with a barista.

Izuku flinched at his voice, but didn't give in. "I can't give you seven. Five is the limit." He said back, finding his voice again. He wasn't about to lose his job over someone having a heart attack from to much espresso. Even if it might not be probable or possible, it was still a worry of his.

"Listen here, pip squeak. I've been up for eighteen god damn hours, and I'm gonna be up for at least four more. I've had a shitty day, and yours is about to become worse if you don't give me my fucking coffee." The purple haired man growled, losing all of his patience.

Izuku glared back, not having it in him to deal with someone so out right disrespectful. He hadn't been up as long as this man, but he was still tired and struggling, and he was out harrassing people jsut trying to do their jobs. "No, you listen to me. I've been having a pretty terrible day too, and you don't see me cussing out someone trying to do there job! I don't care what's going wrong in your life, I can't give you seven freaking shots of espresso. It's. over. the. legal. limit." Izuku shot back, just as angry.

His response seemed to catch the other man off guard. Hitoshi Shinso was not someone used to being talked back too. Usually, if someone dared to try, they'd end up dead or missing. So when someone was ballsy enough to try, he had to be a smidge impressed. The small green haired boy was no exception.

"Feeling awfully brave today, are we?" He asked, raising a brow as he leaned his upper body on the counter.

Izuku rolled his eyes. "Are you going to get five shots or get out?" He asked, still peeved at the taller man.

"Feisty." He said with a bit of a smirk. "Five shots it is then." He had finally given in, causing Izuku to smile in victory.

He got to work preparing the man's drink, not that it took much, it was an overly simple cup of coffee. Once it was ready, he handed it to him. "That'll be four fifty." Izuku said, all smiles now that he had gotten his way.

The man handed him a twenty. "Keep the change. Think of it as an apology for my shitty attitude." He said, already leaving.

Izuku was stunned. It wasn't often that someone tipped their barista fifteen dollars.

"The name's Shinso, by the way." The purple haired man said, the door closing right behind him. Izuku didn't even have enough time to give his name in return.

"What a weird guy." He said to himself as he closed up the cafe for the night. It wasn't quite twelve yet, but he didn't think his boss would mind if he closed a few minutes early. "I wonder why he's been up so long."

With unanswered questions and a few extra dollars, he headed home. He had his backpack, clutching the straps as he walked. He didn't have a car, so walking was his only option. Unfortunetly, he had to go through the bad part of town, seeing as that was were he lived.

He was so close to home, so close to safety, when he was grabbed by his backpack and pulled into an alley. The wind was knocked out of him as he was punched in the gut and then held against a wall, after his backpack was ripped away from him.

There were two unfamiliar men. One held him against the wall, while the other dumped his backpack out. "C'mon, it took me forever to finish that assignment!" Izuku whined as he watched his papers fall to the ground.

The guys holding him against the wall looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Why is your homework what you're concerned about?" He asked, his pointy teeth catching Izuku's attention.

"Well I only have fifteen dollars, so you guys can have it. You probably need it more than me anyways." Izuku said. He had always been a caring person, giving the shirt off is back to someone in need.

"Fuck, don't be wholesome. We're mugging you, you could at least pretend to be upset." The guys said, sighing and looking away.

"Kaminari? What're you- Kirishima? What the hell guys? We just talked about this." A new voice spoke up, sounding exhausted and frighteningly familiar.

Both of the men mugging Izuku threw their hands up. "What the fuck bro?! You can't just say our names like that, now he knows who we are!" The yellow haired guy going through Izuku's backpack said.

"Jesus Chirst, it wouldn't be a problem if you both-" The newcomer cut themselves off as the walked closer and realized who their friends were mugging. "The barista? C'mon guys, you just can't stay out of trouble, can you?" Shinso said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Oh hi." Izuku said, feeling very awkward and out of place.

"I'm so sorry about them, we're working through this problem they seem to have." Shinso said, still holding onto his coffee.

"A mugging problem?" Izuku asked, amused by his current situation.

"You could say that." Shinso said with a shrug. "Now both of you, get out of here before I kill you." He said with a sigh.

"Roger that." Kaminari said, dropping everything in his hands and taking off at a sprint.

"Wait- Denki!" Kirishima said, running off after him.

Izuku watched them go before glancing over to Shinso. He pointed to where the two men had disappeared. "Friends of yours?"

"You could say that."