Chapter 2 - Strong Arm Of The Law

A storm is coming - Feat Liv Ash/ Produced by Tommee Profitt

Sheriff Brice Thomas was an intimidating man, not only because of his sheer size but those scrutinizing brown eyes seemed to see right through your very soul. He leaned back into the couch with his face as stoic as ever. His gaze never wavered and I felt the need to start playing with the hem of my shirt. It was a nervous habbit, now doubt one that Brice would pick up on so, I refrained.

That's one hell of a poker face.

Mom kept looking between me and Brice, she rubbed her face and I didn't fail to notice the dark circles under her eyes. It was like it only took one day for her to age, the worry evident in her eyes. My palms began to sweat and I discreetly rubbed them on my jeans.

Brice rose from the couch, never taking his eyes off mine. It was like he was trying to scare the truth out of me and honestly? It was working a little bit.

"Why don't you take a seat, Sydney." He said motioning to the couch, "I'd like to ask you a few questions."

I looked at mom and then at Brice and I knew there was no way I could possibly get out of this without answering his questions. So I took the seat across from Brice and next to mom.

For a moment, Brice didn't say anything and as the time went on, I became increasingly more nervous.

Brice sat back down and crossed his arm over his chest, "Where were you last night?"

My heart wanted to jump out of my chest but I had to keep myself calm or else this lie wouldn't work, "I was at the park, I came home really late." I said.

It was partly true and it would be better if I stuck as close to the truth as possible. Brice wasn't an idiot and if I made even one mistake and he caught me in a lie it was all over. In any other situation, I would have told the truth but I couldn't now.

Noah would die. The realization hit me square in the face and I knew that I had to remain calm if I wanted to sell this lie.

"How late?" Brice asked.

I tried to remember the time I actually got home but I badn't bothered to check the time. I mean, why would I? Someone I cared about immensely was just handed a death sentence.

"I can't remember. I guess it was after midnight."

Brice nodded his head, "So you were at the park until after midnight?"

"Yes."

I kept my face blank and tried to mimic Brice's expression. But I my heart kept pounding frantically to the point of pain. If he could pick up my heartbeat he would know I was lying.

"And when was the last time you saw Noah Miller?"

I looked at mom, she had a closed fist against her lips and frown between her eyes as if she was waiting for my reaction. I looked back at Brice who seemed to try and gauge my feelings as well. My heart ached at the thought of what Noah was going through now but I had to remain strong if I was going to save him.

This is probably the part where I should freak out. So pulled on the memory of last night. Just before Noah was attacked. Biotech was burning behind us, the flames from behind throwing our shadows across the forest floor. I remember being so tired and not seeing the flaming body before it was too late.

"Yesterday. Why? What happened?" My voice came out frantic and I mentally gave myself a pat on the back.

Good girl, lie your ass off.

"He's missing. Sydney, can you tell me what you and Noah talked about the last time you saw him?"

I looked down and folded my hands in my laps, "We were fighting." Tears welled in my eye.