Chapter 3 - Heat Rises

Trouble - CRMNL

There was a full minute that I felt like telling mom everything. Then I saw the the look in her eyes flashing though my mind and my guilty conscious was snuffed out like a lonely candle.

I picked up the burner phone that Peter had given me and saw only one number in the phonebook. Without hesitation, I dialed the number.

Peter picked up on the second ring, "What happened?" He asked skipping all the proper greetings.

"The police were at my house. They questioned me."

There was a beat of silence on the other end of the line and I flicked my eyes to the door.

"We knew they were going to."

I nervously bit into the soft skin of my thumb, "Yeah, but they know you were at Leah's house on my birthday. They also think Noah is helping you."

Peter sighed, "Should have seen that one coming. Just keep your head down for now, we'll figure it out. What did your mom say?"

My anger flared to another level when I thought about it.

"She's trying to force me to talk to the police, she knows I'm lying."

"Well, you better keep the lie up for as long as possibe. We won't be able to help Noah if we're both stuck in jail."

"I know, you just lay low for now."

Peter snickered, "I know what I'm doing, Princess."

I said goodbye to Peter and started wondering how long I could keep this up. How long would I be able to lie to everyone around me? I also still had to face Leah tomorrow at school if she was even going to be there.

Would I be able to look her in the eye after everything? A better question would be if I even wanted to. Just one more death to haunt me for the rest of my life.

Dr. Benette's journal called to me again and I itched to start exposing it's secrets. To find out if she gave a name of someone who could help Noah.

Before I went to bed, I grabbed the book from my bedside table and shoved it into my school bag. There was a good chance that mom would snoop in here later and I didn't want her finding it and taking my only lead in saving Noah.

All my guilt transferred into my nightmares

All my guilt transferred into my nightmares. It wrapped around my throat, choking the life out of me in my sleep. All I saw while I slept were the faces of the people now gone, haunting my sleeping hours.

I rolled out of bed after being awake for hours. The sun hadn't risen yet and mom was still in her room. I knew getting ready for school this early was bound to bring on another confrontation with my mother so I remained seated on the edge of my bed, staring at the same four walls as always.

I didn't feel like going to school but staying home would just make me look guilty. So I mustered up all of my courage and walked to the bathroom.