Chapter 6 - Undead Soldiers

Keeping me alive - Jonathan Roy

The cafeteria was quiet and dark. Peter and I walked through the tables in a single file. When Peter bumped into a chair, sending it skidding across the floor, I jumped.

"Try not to wake the dead," I said turning to face him.

Peter smirked. "Too late, you're already up."

I rolled my eyes but continued walking. Beyond the tables were the two double doors that led into the hallway. My locker was right next to that door on the other side.

It was odd being inside the school at night. It was dark and quiet, too quiet. Usually, there was always a buzz in the hallways, some new piece of gossip making its way through the student body.

I pushed open the double doors with Peter still at my heels. In front of my locker, I put in my dial code and the door sprung open.

Right there, on top of my chemistry book, was the diary that held some sort of answer. I grabbed it and tucked it into my backpack. Now, all we had to do, was get the hell out of Brookfield and fast.

Peter looked over my shoulder. "Okay, let's get out of here."

That's when I heard the sound of a door opening. I gave Peter a bewildered look, before tapping my lips with my index finger and pointing down the hallway.

Peter nodded his head and moved behind me. All of a second later a figure stepped out from behind the corner. I grabbed onto Peter's jacket and pulled him behind me.

Worst case scenario, it was the police. Really, really bad scenario, it was Biotech. But, I wasn't taking any chances. I shoved Peter into the small space between my locker and the wall.

"Who's there?" The figure shouted in a high pitched voice before lifting a baseball bat. "You're not allowed to be here!"

I squinted my eyes and felt my whole body relax. Then, I let out a huge sigh. It was Shawna, and cowering behind her, was Mia.

Shawna just seemed to be everywhere these days.

"It's just me. I forgot something in my locker," I shouted back.

I felt, more than see, Shawna narrow her eyes. "And you couldn't wait until morning? Same goes, you are not allowed to be here!"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "I needed it for homework that's due tomorrow. Not that I actually have to explain myself to you."

The thing about lying is, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. I hardly thought at all about my excuse for being in school. I didn't stutter or doubt myself one bit. That thought alone, should scare me out of my mind but it didn't. The truth is, I had changed.

It was more than being a zombie. Something inside me was different. More volatile than I could have ever imagined.

Shawna turned to face Mia. "Wait here." Then she walked towards me with the bat still dangling by her side.

Peter slinked further into space between my locker and the wall.

"I know you're hiding something, Syd. And I'm going to find out what it is."

I gave a sarcastic laugh. "You? You're going to figure out my secret?" I chuckled and crossed my arms over my chest. "You wouldn't even be able to comprehend it. Stop looking Shawna, or someone is going to get hurt."

Peter moved slightly but the quiet amplified the sound and Shawna narrowed her eyes. "Who is here with you?"

Shawna pushed me away and grabbed for Peter, before pulling him into the light. "I knew it!" Shawna screamed. "You're hiding the asshole that killed Leah's mom!"