Chapter 4 - Finally, a Plan

Come and get it from me - Sun Heat

424 Willow Berry Drive was an old abandoned paper mill. Big tube like structures of gray stone poked out into the sky, the tips pitch black like they had been burned. Huge cracks ran along the outer walls, all along the building. Two huge metal shutter door were at either side of the factory.

To the far left of the property, stood one lonely building, tiny in comparison to the old factory. There wasn't a window that wasn't smashed and the door hung loosely on it's hinges.

Up ahead in the road you couldn't see the building until you reached the last turn and the bumpy driveway was long and narrow. My scooter bounced on the dirt road and more than once I felt the tires slip on the loose sand.

This place was perfect. It was secluded, a little hard to reach and abandoned. I still wondered how we would be able to contain Noah. Sure the building was big but I saw a multitude of places where he could escape. And a crazed zombie on the loose was the last thing we needed.

I sent Peter a text, telling him I was outside and pretty soon the roller door started to lift slowly. It's rusted hinges squealed in protest and punctured the silence. A few short meters from the ground, the doors cranked loudly and stopped moving altogether.

I only saw a pair of legs before Peter poked his head out at the bottom, "It won't go any further, think you can fit your bike through?" 

I raised an eyebrow and Peter just shook his head. After tipping the bike to the side a little, we managed to get it inside the factory. The air was fridget inside the building with only a few burning gas lamps scattered around. Biotech's ugly ice cream truck was standing right next to a huge machine that was more rust than metal. It looked like a massive wheel attached to a big tub at the far back. Behind that and old conveyor belt was frayed and dangling in loose strips of fabric to the floor. Paper was scattered everywhere on the floors. 

My eyes came back to Peter, "This place is great and all but I see so many places where he can get out."

"You haven't seen the best part yet," Peter started walking to the far end of the building, "Follow me."

I followed behind Peter, where he lead me to a large metal door. When he pushed the door open I  saw that it was a big safe in the wall, inside it was bigger than my bedroom. There were no windows and only solid concrete walls.

"Always thought I'd find a nice dark hole for Noah," Peter said.

I cut my eyes to him, "That's not funny."

"It's a little bit funny." Peter said with a careless shrug.

I turned until I was standing directly in front of him, "Say that again and I'll put you in there with him."

Peter chuckled, "Relax, Syd. I'm on your side."

I turned away from Peter and inspected the door. The slots inside were broken so there was no way to lock the door.

"This is perfect for Noah but how are we going to lock it?"

"Hold on." Peter said holding up one hand before he ran to the truck.

When he came back he was holding a new shiny silver latch and the biggest lock I've ever seen.

"I'm going to weld this onto the steel door then we can use the lock to secure it from outside."

That was actually a good idea and based on what was around us and available to us, this was our best bet. Actually, it was our only bet. It's not like we had options.

For the next half hour or so, Peter welded the latch onto the steel door. We then backed the truck to the door so that we could open the truck doors and hopefully get Noah out without too much struggle.