Chapter 6

☀️

Money has been tight for Evelyn. She has had to pick and choose things to get for the shop. Nothing helps the fact that business is dwindling. Within a couple of months, she won't have the money to keep the cafe running anymore. Evelyn has tried everything. She sold everything in her possession except for some essential items. Nothing helps the fact that Steve found how bad her situation really was a couple of days ago.

"Hey, Steve! Coming in for another muffin?" Evelyn grinned cheekily.

"I'm sorry! I can't stay away from these things. Their delicious!" Steve shoves a full blueberry muffin down his mouth as Evelyn looks at him in disgust. "You know I have a friend who loves parties like he's always throwing one, and I was thinking. Maybe I can put in a good word for you and maybe you can make some extra cash making these delicious treats?" Evelyn thought about it for a moment, wondering if it would help or hurt the cafe from being away at another job.

"It depends on the pay and help here. I can't really close the shop to go work another job." Steve looks up from his phone.

"Well, he said he would pay you $100 per night, and I think I can watch the shop." Evelyn smiled, Steve is always ready to jump in and help where he can. He even stayed and helped till around noon one day.

"I guess so. You are the only person I can trust to not burn the place down." She laughed thinking about how Sam almost set the coffee machine on fire.

"Okay! I'll come by around 8 and you can leave and I can watch the cafe."

"Sounds great! I'll see you then, bye!" Steve waved back and left leaving Evelyn alone to think about the job.

Around 7:30 Evelyn had changed into her only other outfit. A pair of ripped blue jeans, a pair of tennis shoes and a loose white long sleeve shirt. She then tidied up her hair by brushing out her ponytail dent and braiding back the hair by her eyes, leaving the rest wavy and down. Evelyn didn't hear the front door open due to the music being on so loud while she was getting ready.

"Hey, are you ready" Steve halted as he opened the door to the break room seeing her made-up pile of blankets as a bed and her brushing her teeth over the sink. He was silent as Evelyn was frozen in her tracks wondering what he was going to say or do. His shoulders seemed to hunch a little when he looked at her. She hated it, the look of worry and sympathy.

"Alright, get it out. You know you want to. Tell me how it's not professional to live in your workplace. Tell me it's irresponsible for me to keep holding on to something that I know is gone, even though I feel like I can't let go. JUST TELL ME!" Evelyn now stood right up against him tears falling freely down her face as she swung to hit his chest. At the last second, Steve grabbed her wrist preventing her from hurting him or even herself. He then grabbed her other wrist making her look up at him.

"Ev, your being to hard on yourself. This isn't your fault. You couldn't do anything about the failing business or even Mags' death so stop blaming yourself you hear me? Stop it." Tears started to brim at the corner of his eyes. It tore him up to see her, a strong and charismatic person, to be broken. He pulled her in by the wrists and just held her there. She didn't give in at first, but then she finally let it all go and wrapped her arms as tight as she could around Steve's back. She sobbed into his chest as he drew lazy circles on her back. He rested his chin on top of her head not daring to let go until she calmed down.

He slowly pulled away when her sobs turned into silent whimpers. He held her at arm's length and looked at her like really looked at her. Her dirty blonde hair clung to the side of her face as her bright blue eyes brought out from the tears. She truly was gorgeous......wait is Steve actually falling in love with the girl that serves him delicious blueberry muffins and always seems to have a smile on her face? Yes, yes he is.

☀️