Chapter 8

Sam's P.O.V.

We had just gotten back from a mission in Central Asia, we took down a major Hydra base with some very experienced weaponology. At least we know where Tony will be for a while. We were on that mission for a good 2 and a half months. All I want to do is get some food and go to sleep for 10 years, but Steve had other plans.

"Okay team, That went better than expected." Steve sighed cheerfully as the rest of us groaned all fully aware of what this speech meant. Natasha plopped down on the couch next to an already half asleep Clint with an I'll kill you if you don't stop talking face directed towards Steve. I slowly trudged towards the kitchen ready to just fall on the ground and sleep right there. I grab a bag of chips from the pantry when I hear loud moans of disapproval. I turn the corner revealing a pumped up Steve in workout clothes with the rest of the team asleep on the couch. Natasha noticed me reenter the room and looked up at me.

"If you don't stop him I will and it won't be pretty." The death glare she sent towards Steve made me jump into action.

"Okay! Steve, I think everyone has had enough. It's late and we were gone for quite a while. We all just need a couple of days of rest and then we can get back out there okay?" Steve dropped his head in defeat.

"I guess. Hey! We haven't been on a run in a while, maybe tomorrow morning we can go on a run and go see Evelyn and the cafe?" I look at Steve when his face lit up at the idea. Just the way his eyes lit up at a single thought.

"Wierd question, but do you have a thing for Ev? Cause if you do, she is like my little sister. I would like to know." I grin at Steve seeing the dread look come across his face.

"Um...Um no I just miss the normal routine you know?"

"Right." A small smile grows across my face as I walk down the hall towards my room.

The next morning Steve and I went on our routinely jog in Battery Park. I was enjoying the beautiful scenery and dropped down into a jog. The next thing I know I hear a loud thumping behind me and then.

"On your left."

"I swear every time!" I huff in annoyance trying to catch up. We round the corner towards the cafe ready for our daily intake of muffins and coffee. I grab the handle and when I pull it to open, it doesn't budge. I yank some more and it still doesn't move. "What the hell? I didn't think she would still be closed."

"Look." Steve pointed to a bright red sticker on the window. "Repossessed."

"Why is it repossessed? I thought she had it handled?" Steve was quiet, a little too quiet for my liking. "What's up?"

"If the bank has repossessed the building then where is Evelyn staying?" I look up in realization. Where is she? Mags was her only family, maybe she knew someone and was close enough to them to ask for a place to stay. I'm just confused as to why she didn't ask me after all she is like my little sister.

"Hopefully she is just staying with a close friend unless she has a boyfriend." I meet Steve's gaze and he rolls his eyes at me.

"There's no way she met someone in a little over 2 months ago and trusted him enough to live with him. I don't think she's that naive. Let's just go back to the compound and look for  her ourselves. I'm sure we can find her with some of Tony's tech."

On our walk back to compound the skies suddenly got darker and the wind picked up speed. For one super soldier and an ex-pararescue, it was becoming harder to walk. "what the hell is going on?!" As soon as I muttered those words the rain came pouring down like cats and dogs.

"This can't just be a regular storm. Let's find some shelter and call Tony." Steve practically yells into the wind.

"Sounds like a plan." I mumble trying to steady my breathing with 50mph winds aiming right at my chest. We took shelter in a little alleyway. Steve got out his phone and called Tony. Apparently a storm magically appeared on the radar. He said he had never seen anything like it. He also said it looked like it appeared over a small park not too far from where we were so we obviously went and checked it out.  We slowly approached the park considering the wind wasn't letting us move very much. "My eyes might be decieving me, but I think I might have just seen someone in there walking around."

"Sam, your crazy if anyone was in there they would be hiding not walking like its a normal day."

"I swear that's what I saw." I squinted my eyes and sure enough I saw the figure. It looked like they were pacing.

"Steve I swear someone is in there."

"Well, we'll see." We made it to the gate of the park when the wind if even possible got stronger. I grabbed onto a side to hold myself steady as Steve did the same.