Chapter 7

It has been 3 months since Steve found out about Evelyn's financial struggle. Steve and Sam would come by almost daily now trying to help out where they could. Sam even tried to get more publicity by swinging a sign in front of the store. It didn't really help business but it was still funny to watch.

Evelyn was grateful, on days that the boys were gone on other business, the tax collector would come. Each time the deadline to pay bills getting closer and closer.

"Evelyn, I can't keep leaving empty-handed. If I don't show up with something, I could lose my job!" This was the fifth time this month Greg has shown up. To Evelyn, he was a blessing. Greg kept trying to push back the payday, but last week was the last straw for his boss. He demanded if she didn't pay up by the end of next week that they would repo the cafe.

"I'm sorry, I don't have the money." Evelyn slumped her head in defeat. She was going to lose the one thing Mags treasured the most. Greg turned around and pulled the repossessed sign from his bag.

"It will be okay Ev. I promise things will get better." He stuck the sign in the door and walked out. Evelyn just stood there, dread seeping in. The one thing she was supposed to look after and she messed it up. She fell to the floor in a mess of tears.

Several hours later, Evelyn had a backpack full of essentials. Hopefully, Sam will have a place she can stay for a while. Where is Sam anyways? Turning to leave Evelyn sees Mags' urn sitting on the coffee table. She immediately drops her bag, grabs Mags and runs up to the roof.

Evelyn sat on the roof with Mags by her side just enjoying the beautiful New York Skyline. With her mindset, she stands up carefully picking up the urn. Shakily she lifts the lid and sets it on the ground. "You know I was never one for sentimental crap, but you were. You loved watching sad and depressing movies with no happy endings. You loved to cook and bake for others not because you just liked to cook, but because you loved the faces people made as soon as they took a bite of your food. You were such a caring person. Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky or if I even deserved being saved, but then I would just look over to you always with a big smile plastered across your face and then I would instantly regret even thinking about the past. Mags you were the best thing to ever happen to me and I will never again go another day without thinking of you. I love you. Have a safe trip sightseeing." Evelyn very gently poured Mags as the wind blew her away.