January

"Happy New Year!" yelled my best friend, Chloe. It was new years, and the start of 2019. Chloe came over for a new years party with my family and I. She was having it rough at home and has been here since Christmas.

I looked at Chloe and laughed. "So, what are your new year's resolutions?" Mine all seemed simple, but were actually going to be hard. I was going to try to be more optimistic this year and try to be nicer to people. I always push people away and am kind of mean, so I'm going to work on it.

"No, I never really have resolutions anyways. I can't really seem to think of any. That's okay though." Chloe didn't need resolutions. She was basically perfect. She was so kind and loving towards others and she always made everything seem so much better. Chloe was also so pretty. She had curly, blonde hair and dark green eyes. Her smile screamed positivity, and she was skinny. She basically had it all.

Me on the other hand, I was just good old Bexley Burgess. I had black hair just like my mom, and I wasn't skinny, but I also wasn't fat. I never liked to dress up and I always wore jeans and boots. I had dark brown eyes, so dark they almost looked black. And I was tall, but not tall enough to be considered tall. But I also wasn't short enough to be considered short. I also sort of had a jawline, but it was also a double chin. My mom just said I was in the awkward stage and I shouldn't worry about it.

But how can you not worry about it when your friend is perfect and gets all the guys and you're stuck here looking awkward and can only get the really weird guys? It's just so hard.

"So, should I ask out Taylor?" asked Chloe. Taylor was Chloe's crush since sixth grade, and right now we were eighth graders.

I looked at her and asked,"Well, is he single?"

"Yeah, him and Lilly broke up about a month ago. We've kind of been talking for a while now too."

I just sat there in silence for a few seconds. "Sure." I mean of course they've been talking. Only Chloe could get such a guy. Taylor was our grade's cutest boy. Well, next to some of his friends. But seriously, I'm just saying that of course Chloe could get such a good guy.

She sent the text, and we sat there and waited. It was like 12:30 so we didn't really know if he would answer or not.

Chloe: Hey, I really like you and we've been talking for awhile. I was wondering if we could like start dating?

We waited and waited until he finally answered like fifteen minutes later.

Taylor: Sure! I would love to! See you at school next Monday!

She just kind of started giggling. "I can't believe Taylor just said yes! Ugh, I'm so excited!"

I just sat there wondering what it would feel like to have that. I know I was only an eighth grader, but what would that be like? How much fun would it be to just text your boyfriend whenever and hang out. Like you could rant to someone about your best friend and you not getting along, or fantasize about weddings.

I tried to hide my jealousy and me being upset. "That's really good though. I'm so happy for you!"

Monday came and it was time to go back to school now that Christmas break is over. I didn't want to come to school, but I knew I had to. School kind of started to drain me out anymore, and I was getting so ready for summer to come.

I walked into class and there was Taylor and Chloe, flirting. I just rolled my eyes and sat down near Chloe. She didn't even turn to say hi or good morning or how are you. She just sat there and talked to Taylor.

The bell rang and class had started. Chloe turned back around to face me. "Oh hey, Bexley. When did you get here?"

I turned to look at her and I was trying to be as nice as possible. "I've been here for like five minutes, Chloe. You were too busy talking to Taylor to see me."