June

I got a job at the grocery store and it's been good for the first couple of weeks. I was still too young to apply at the pool, so I chose the store instead. Chase drove me every morning and then he went off to the pool. I think it's kind of funny how if I get hired there, Chase and I might work together for a year. That would be fun though, considering he could get promoted to manager.

I went in to the store one morning to work my shift and I go to the register. I was a cashier/bagger for right now. It wasn't very fun, but it will help me get some money prepared for college. I didn't want to do anything fancy, I just need to get two years of community college in and then I could go off and do my last two at a university. I'm going to be saving lots of money doing that.

I get home later that evening and walked inside. "So, Bexley, is there anything you want to tell me?"

I stopped and set my things down. My mom just hardcore stared me down. "What are you talking about?"

She shook her head and was holding a letter. "This, young lady. It's from Liam."

I rolled my eyes and took it from her. It simply said that he was super happy we became friends and was too embarrassed to say it to my face. I don't know why that would be embarrassing but oh well. "It's simply saying that he has had a lot of fun with me and thinks I'm a great friend. It's one of the few things I have left of him, so leave it alone. Please."

"Fine," my mother huffed. I don't know what her problem is, but she was insane anymore.

I went to take a shower, and afterwards I went to my room. It's been hard without Liam. I really wished he could be here, being with me making this the best summer ever.

All of a sudden I heard shouting. "You always blame me for everything." "Do you really love me?" "Go stay with your parents and think about what you've done!"

I flopped back onto my bed. Mom and dad have been fighting recently and this is their third fight this week. It's only Tuesday. They used to go to couple's counseling when I was younger, but dad claims that won't help.

I just turned on some music and went to bed early without any dinner. I didn't want to go out there and deal with any of it or be brought into that mess.

"Psst... Bexley. Wake up!" I rolled over and there was Jake. He seemed really worried. I looked at my phone and it said 9:30.

I sat up in bed. "Jake, what's wrong?"

He looked like he was about to cry so I grabbed him and lifted him up onto my bed, closer to me. "Mom isn't here and Sophia went to Chase, so I came to you. I want mom."

I hugged him. "I don't know where mom is, I'm sorry. Let's go see what Chase and Sophia are doing."

I carried him across the hall to Chase's room and went in. Jake wasn't lying, Sophia was in here with Chase. She was crying and Chase was just holding her tight. I walk in farther and shut the door. I turned to Chase and said,"What's going on?"

"Where have you been for the past hour?" Chase snapped. He hardly ever snaps at me like that.

I set Jake down on the bed."I went to bed early because mom and dad were arguing. I had my music playing and I couldn't hear anything. I'm sorry."

He looked over to Jake and gestured Jake closer to him. "Mom snapped and threw a vase at the wall. Dad then called her names. They used to fight, but it was never this bad. I don't know what's gotten into either of them, but it's not good."

"Oh," I said. I had nothing else to say. Maybe they were going to get a divorce. Maybe things were ending between them.

Chase suggested we all sleep with him in his bedroom, and we all agreed to that. I didn't have to work tomorrow, and neither did Chase. There was going to be a party at the pool tomorrow, and Chase didn't need to be there.