September and October

"Bexley! You're doing so good at football. Can I take you out?" asked Adam, one of the team's linemen. He was nice, but I definitely didn't want to date anyone right now.

"Wow, smooth Adam. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to say no. I don't really want to date anyone right now," I said. I felt bad, but that's the truth. My emotions were all messed up since I still liked Liam and I started developing feelings for Logan. I just didn't really know what to do at this point.

Adam looked down at the football he was holding. "Okay, sorry for asking." He started to walk away.

"Look, it's nothing personal. You're a really great guy, I'm just not ready to date."

He looked back at me and said with a cold tone in his voice,"Yeah, it's because of the guy that's your phone background."

I stared at him dead in the eyes. "That boy was my best friend and he's dead." I turned around and walked off. I was so tired of people mentioning Liam. I started to cry as I walked off the field. I couldn't take it anymore.

I heard someone running up behind me. "Bexley! Wait up!" Logan finally caught up to me and grabbed my arm. "Hey, are you okay?"

I started yelling at him and I didn't mean it. "No! My parents are divorced, I haven't seem my younger siblings in awhile, my old best friend is dead, and I feel like I have no one!"

Logan dropped his stuff and hugged me. He just held me there. "It's going to be okay. You can tell me anything. But it's going to be okay," Logan whispered in my ear.

Chase came over too and asked what was wrong. I dried my eyes and Logan explained everything. Chase thanked him, grabbed my hand, and took me to the car. We drove home. "Logan told me everything. It's okay to cry, Bexley. Sometimes you just need to let things out and trust me, that's okay." The rest of the ride home was silent.

The next day, Logan came over. "Hey, are you better today?"

I looked at him and hugged him. I think it caught him by surprise. "Yeah, thank you so much." I knew I could talk to Logan, but it felt like I was pestering him or something. I don't like talking about my problems, and that's what really annoyed me. I needed to let things out, but I always felt like I couldn't.

I've tried journaling my problems, like writing them down, I've tried talking them out, which clearly doesn't work, and I've tried crying. Nothing works and it's been getting worse. I didn't know what to do anymore.

After school and practice, Chase and I went home. Dad was already there, which was weird because he didn't usually get home until later. Dad looked at us as we walked in and said, "Your nana was diagnosed with lung cancer today. They don't know right now what's going to happen, but the doctors are taking care of her. I'm sorry you guys."

I looked at Chase and his face was super pale. Chase and I were the closest to nana. I was closer to her than Chase though, so I felt kind of dizzy and nauseous when dad said that. I didn't know what was going to happen, but I knew lung cancer wasn't good. I then went to my room with no dinner that night.

The week went on, and I hardly ate, hardly talked, and hardly slept. I know, that's a lot of 'hardleys', but that's how I felt. I still can't believe all that has happened this year, and it's starting to get to me. I didn't want this all to happen, especially in one year. Maybe things were going to get better though. Maybe life could turn around and everything would be okay. At least that's what I hoped.

Football went on, school went on, and everything was so hard. My grades weren't good, but they weren't bad either. Okay, maybe they were good. I had mostly A's and a couple B's. I also had one C, in science. I've never been good at science, so I wasn't mad about that. Football practices were also hard, but we were prepping for the big night next month, the game before homecoming. I wasn't ready for it, but I also was. If that made any sense.