⚘ Lucifer - You're Loved Here

There weren't many things from the human realm that you brought with you to Devildom, only those that were on your person at the time you were summoned. Lucky for you, your human smartphone was, even though you have no reception.

What is on your phone that you can use is your music player. You decide to listen to your music, so you pop in your earbuds and put your playlist on shuffle. While listening to music, you sing along, unaware of the volume of your voice.

"You could never know what it's like

Your blood like winter freezes just like iceAnd there's a cold lonely light that shines from youYou'll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you useAnd did you think this fool could never winWell look at me, I'm coming back againI got a taste of love in a simple wayAnd if you need to know while I'm still standing you just fade away

Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind"

Suddenly, there's a tap on your shoulder. "Oh. Hi, Lucifer.", you say when you look up from your lap.

"I came to tell you that dinner's ready."

"Okay.", You push yourself off the bed, eager to eat.

"What were you singing?", he asks with an oddly concerned look. Embarrassed, you tell him you were listening to I'm Still Standing by Elton John. "It sounds like a nice song." The might first-born takes a gloved hand and wipes some tears off you. "So, why were you crying?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize."

"Would you like to talk about it?"

"I'm good. Thanks for asking though." You try to maneuver around him, but he makes an effort to stand in your way.

"Let me rephrase. It's my duty to make sure the exchange program goes smoothly. In order to make that a reality, I need to make sure all of students participating are as comfortable as possible, especially you, since you are taking residence here at the House of Lamentation."

"You're not giving me a choice, are you?"

"Glad we can come to an agreement." Signing heavily at his demands, you sit back on your bed.

"If I told you it was nothing, would you believe me?"

"If it was nothing, you wouldn't be crying. Honestly, MC." Lucifer shakes his head at you feeble attempt to avoid the question. He goes back to the door to close it, then claims the chair for your desk, silently waiting for your response. Before you start talking, you take a deep breath to calm your nerves.

"I don't know how to explain it."

"Try your best." You're definitely not getting out of this.

"Fine... It's just that it reminds me of my parents." You look away from him, feeling stupid. You know the demon brothers that you reside with have been through much worse, yet here you are moping over your own life.

"You wish to return to the human world, then? I'm sorry but-"

"No. I was miserable with them."

"What did they do to you, MC?" Confusion settled into his voice with that question.

"Well, I guess I had a decent upbringing to some standards, but I wasn't happy... They were always so mean and strict. I was never good enough." You look up to see Lucifer's reaction. His expression is calm, his eyes show engagement, clearly waiting to hear more. "When I lived with them, if my grades ever slipped below a 4.0, I'd be scolded harshly and accused of trying to fail. Every mistake I made, they'd tell me that I would amount to nothing and held them over me for years. Anything that I did that I thought was worthwhile was either coincidence or nothing worth noting, making comments like 'And we're supposed to be proud of that?'."

Breathing became harder for you, clenching to your chest from the pain. You took a few breaths before continuing. "When they found out about my first love interest..., all the said was 'So you're a slut now?'... I immediately broke things off with that person... They didn't take it well though..., they... they... stole my virginity... I never told my parents... When that person did that to me..., it confirmed what my parents had told me..." Tears violently rolled down as you clawed your throat gasping for air. Lucifer sat next to you, suddenly holding you to his chest. He stayed quiet, knowing you had more to say.

"One day... my mom... she caught me... cutting myself... She... told me... that... there's no need... to... beg for... attention... I... I screamed at her... I asked... asked if... if she... wanted... me to... kill... myself... Her response... was... 'Don't... don't... don't make threats... you... you can't... commit... commit to... That's... when I... dropped out of school... and... ran away... It's been years... but... it still hurts. Being here is the happiest I've ever been. It makes me feel like... like I can live my life the way I want to, finally."

"Thank you for trusting me enough to tell me." Lucifer takes your shoulders, lightly pushing you away to look into your eyes. "I'm happy that you're here with us. It's quite an accomplishment that you've made it this long in the program, and I am proud of you for that. You are stronger than they gave you credit for. I'm not going to go into detail about it, but what your parents did to you has a lot of similarities to how our father treated us. Lastly, by no standard is that a decent life. I will not tolerate anyone who treats you with such disrespect."

The Avatar of Pride, himself, is proud of you? That makes you cry even harder. He pulls you back into his embrace, resting his chin on your head and petting your hair. Minutes, hours, days? You don't know how long you sat there like that, but it ends only when you pull away. On that day, you and Lucifer developed a closeness unmatched to anything else you've ever experienced.