'Coma'

...........................................................................

Chara stared at the blank spaces between two plates on the oak-wood dining table. The bright haze of the sun gleamed through the tall glass panels, casting a faint shadow between his plate and his brother Frisk's.

Life on the surface was great. Fantastic, really. Society seemed to finally allow monsters and humans to live in peace, prying away the tears on the lost ones' faces, and bringing back happiness as it used to be.

Well, fuck that.

Not everyone is happy at last. Tragedy always does its best at the brightest times, no matter what the influences are. Chara is not happy. Now not at all. It has been three months since one of his family members suddenly fell into a coma for nearly no reason at all.

Cross was a monster, a skeleton. But more importantly, he was Chara's family, a brother, along with Frisk and Papyrus.

It was as if due to fate, he fell into a certain state where he can no longer respond to anything. It was as if he just fell into eternal slumber, but with mumbles from time to time as he was having a nightmare. They had tried calling him, but he still remained in position with both his eye sockets closed.

The hospitals in the human society were no use. No doctors have had experiences dealing with such strange symptoms from a monster before. And frantically saying that their father Xgaster had no idea of how to 'cure' Cross either.

Whenever Chara and Frisk ask him about it, he would just give them a displeased expression and tell them to believe that everything is fine. Talk about even more curiosity and despair, whenever they ask their mother Jakei about it, she would practically say the same, but just with a faint smile and nod.

Other than that, Chara had become overly aggressive over the three months of waiting for Cross to wake up. Becoming even more annoyed when Xgaster said that he would have to leave Cross to Alphys in the lab, and didn't allow visits. Over time he had grown more and more distrustful against his father, not knowing why he would purposely try to hide his brother away from him...

Tap Tap Tap... sounds of metal tapping against ceramic broke the silence as Chara tapped his fork on his plate of unfinished food, looking visibly annoyed.

" Chara... Are you all right? " Frisk spoke from the opposite side of the table, sounding concerned.

" Of course. '' Chara chimed sarcastically, " Just pissed, as usual. "

Frisk sighed and started picking up the empty ceramic plates spread across the table. He was concerned about Cross, too. Especially when he had overheard Cross' mumbles from the laboratory in the basement. Constant muffled sentences like " Don't go... " or " Please don't leave me..." Concerned him even more.

When he tried to bring this up to Jakei, she would just try to change the topic of the conversation while slightly wincing, or pretend she didn't hear him.

...

He placed the dishes in the sink while Chara sat up on his chair, still flicking the salad on his plate with a fork.

Footsteps echoed from the basement and the sounds slowly raised. Chara intentionally ignored and kept on tormenting his food, while Frisk gently opened the tap of the sink to soak the dishes in water.

" Ahem...Excuse me, my children. "

Frisk turned around to see their father XGaster standing next to the dining table with his hands behind his back. Chara casted a glance at him then quietly stared down at his plate again.

" I figured... That you would like to give Cross a little visit. " As soon as the words came out of his mouth, Chara shot up like a rocket, gaped at him in disbelief and shock, his brother scurries towards him.

" Really?! Did I hear that correctly ?"

" Yes, you heard me well." Chara wheezed and shot Frisk an excited look before sprinting towards the stairs to the basement, his brother quickly ran after him.

" Cross!! " The whited-haired boy yelled as he scrambled down the stairs, seeing his brother laid down on the bed in the lab.

"Shh." Alphys signalled him to quiet down while she looked back at her clipboard. She stepped away from the bed allowing the two brothers to come closer.

The whole laboratory was quite a simple structure, but had complicated machines located in different corners. There were rackets of test tubes laid out on the table next to a gigantic machine that seemed to be a heart rate measurer. Cross laid on a simple white bed in the middle of the room, almost casting a contrast to all the other machinery and experiment objects.

Chara and Frisk slowly inched towards the bed carefully.

" God, I hope he's okay..." Chara whispered under his breath as his brother gently placed a hand on Cross' skull and gave him a nervous expression.

The two watched their brother intensely as they stood on opposite sides of the bed. Time seemed to pass much slower as they stood in complete silence.

Tick ...Tock...Tick...Tock

Frisk blinked.

For one second, he saw Cross' eyes starting to twitch---

...........................................................................

First chapter~

Will be a bit boring at first (?)

BTW, Feel free to come harass me at anytime. Come talk to me about anything, random stuff, ships or anything.

And, wish you a nice day, good luck on anything~
Love you

-Lawless