Chapter 4: The Pieces Fall Into Place

Chapter4: The Pieces Fall Into Place

You lean on the metal railing, admiring the view of the calm sea. If you had taken the ship with Ace-Ops, you'd probably be there already, but Blake advised that you approach in a less dramatic way to avoid causing unnecessary tension. The people of Menagerie aren't too fond of Atlas military landing on their island.

You take a gander at Blake, who's just a short distance away from you. Since you got on this boat, Blake has seemed happier than you remember her being. She did mention she lived on Menagerie for quite a while. You remember learning about Menagerie in class when you were younger, along with the struggles of Faunus through history. She hasn't directly said it, but you figured out quite some time ago that Blake was a Faunus. The moving bow gave it away, for you.

Blake looks back at you, noticing that you're just staring at her. A small tint runs along her face as she smiles and waves at you. This unexpected response causes you to fumble, raising your hand to wave back but simply punch your jaw. The strength of the punch knocks you over the railing. Thankfully, you were already holding on, thus you dangle from the side of the boat.

"(Y/N)!" Blake swiftly approaches to assist you

She just manages to grab your arm with hers, then grips it tight with both while trying to pull you up. Meanwhile you spin yourself around, grab the railing with your other hand and pull yourself up. You roll over the railing and land on the ground, staring up at Blake and the sky, chuckling.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," you reply with a happy tone. "I'm just... silly."

"You are, yeah," she walks around and offers her hand. "Try not to go overboard when we arrive."

You get on your feet and brush yourself off. "Was... was that a joke?"

"Was it bad?"

"No, no," you shake your head adamantly. "It was. I just... haven't heard you make a joke."

There's a moment where you're both laughing, then it dies down, and then there's silence. You both look back out to the sea.

"So... when was the last time you visited Menagerie?"

Blake's smile quickly disappears while a look of shame washes over. "I... Last time I was here was... strange."

"How so?" You shift a little closer, making sure the wind doesn't make your scarf hit Blake.

"I..." Blake stares into your eyes, her hesitation holding her back. She shakes her head to dismiss it. You confided in her about your family. She can do the same for you. "I... was a member of the White Fang. My parents didn't follow the new White Fang and I... I thought they were mere cowards."

"The White Fang, huh?" You look back to the sea, taking in the fresh air. "You aren't anymore, I assume?"

"No," she shakes her head. "I've long since left them. Even stopped them a few times with my team. One time, during the semester, I came back with my friends and confronted my family again. They were so... nice. They just let me back in and treated me like nothing happened."

You raise your brow in confusion. "That's... a good thing, right?"

"Yes, but... I just feel like I didn't deserve it. I was so terrible to them and..."

"Well, I would appreciate that. I had parental figures when I was a kid, but they don't talk to me anymore."

"Why?"

"Heh," you run your tongue along your teeth as the memory surfaces. "When I was first attacked by demons... their son, my best friend, was there. He was killed. They didn't want anything to do with me, despite raising me for as long as I could remember," you place your hand on Blake's shoulder. "So, try to think of it in a good way, huh? Your parents sound like great people. I'm excited to meet them."