Chapter 8

"I'm so sorry we couldn't save him" the doctor announced and my world stood still and then shattered. It just had to be a dream,I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming but the pain I got made me realize that I wasn't dreaming. My dad was dead and I was fatherless.

"Something triggered his blood pressure and it rose at once thereby resulting to an heart attack. It might be a conversation or news"The doctor explained.

My mum held me as I cried, Chisom could not even be consoled. Chima tried hard not to break down,my dad had left us for good and it hurts.

***
Two weeks after the burial of my father,it wasn't a large burial,just simple and quiet,I resumed school and a lot of people came to sympathize with me on the death of my dad.

Ebube was so helpful throughout that period,he even attended my dad's funeral.

I even got a note from Adaora and talking about Adaora,she was so closed up,she was always alone and I could see sadness all over. She hardly spoke to people and rarely got up from her seat. She didn't even want to speak to me despite all the times I tried.

I was already at the 300th page of my chemistry textbook when Ebube closed it,he was just so annoying... sometimes

"Hey,do you want to kill yourself,you read too much these days" he said to me and dropped the black nylon on my table.

"Ebube I really have to read,I have my reasons" I tried to drag the book but he kept it away from my reach.

"Before I give you this book you would have to eat and now" he said and I looked the nylon,it was no use arguing,Ebube can be very stubborn sometimes. I munched the eggroll and coke while he kept looking at me.

"Stop looking at me that way"I told him

"What way?"he asked grinning

"The way you are looking at me,it's so weird"I told him and he smiled

"Well it's your fault that you are very beautiful" he told me and I nearly choked,he just complimented me and acted like it was nothing.

***
The house was quiet when I got home,Chima was probably out,my mum was down with a fever so maybe she was sleeping,I walked gently to her room,my footsteps barely audible and then   I stood at the door, she seemed to be on the phone,I was about to walk away until I heard my name and I stood still.

"You know his her real father,it was just a mistake,I don't know how to tell her. My husband is not her real father. I feel so bad and the guilt is killing me"

What was my mum saying? It was certainly a force that pushed me into my mother's room.
She looked really shocked to see me and her emotions were clearly entached on her face.

"What are you talking about mummy? What do you mean that Daddy is not my real father,I need some explaintions" I told her but tears were already pouring from her eyes while I braced up myself for the worst.

"I'm sorry Veronica, I'm so sorry,please forgive me"

"Don't apologise to me and start talking"I nearly screamed.

"I was once a secretary for him"My mum started.

"Who?"I asked her clearly interested to know my story

"Your real father. I was married to my husband already,I had Chisom and even Chima,one thing led to the other and I started having an affair with my boss and one day I discovered I was pregnant. My husband thought the pregnancy was his,my boss suspected I was pregnant but I resigned and left his company without trace" She explained but she was not done yet

"That night I came home late,I ran into your real father,I told him about your existence"

"But mummy why?"I cried. I felt so much pain and anger. I was highly disappointed in my mum.

"I'm really sorry Veronica" She apologised "I tried telling your father.." she corrected herself "my husband I mean about it and at once he slumped and that led to his death" she explained and more tears flowed.

This was just too much for me to hear,this was cannot be my mum

"You killed him,you killed him" I accused,can I ever forgive her,I cried more bitterly

"What's the name of my real father?"I asked angrily

"Mr Dozie Ani" And that was the last name I heard before everything went blank.

****
Confused?
Hit me up for more clarification on
And yes,her mother cheated and had her
This time it was a woman who cheated and not the man
I mean,women are not saints too
Hope you liked this chapter tho
Thank you for reading 🌹