Chapter 11

The grass looked greener than usual,the rose seemed fresher and the air smelt better,maybe it was because it was my graduation day from secondary school,I was wearing the purple gown embodied with the gold patterns and the badge of the school.

It was so bad that mum was not around,she had left us without trace. She didn't even formally apologise or anything,she just got up one day and disappeared into thin air,I didn't cry,yes,it did hurt but I was not going to waste my tears on someone who doesn't care.

I had passed my examination with distinctions and I was more than ready to begin higher learning. Chisom was present,Chima too and he was talking with Adaora who wouldn't stop giggling like a fish....I don't even know if fishes giggle

Chisom was already working on her Masters and Chima had gotten admission to study Law,all bills on my dad...Mr Ani.

Adaora had finally reconciled with her family and Ebube who graduated a year ago was present. I was still taking pictures when my dad came around.

"Dad,you actually came"I smiled and then gave him a hug.
Well over the months we bonded a lot. Amanda was still a annoying but I learnt better how to ignore her.

"Of course I did"He brought a cake along.
"And don't even refuse this"He added.

The cake was looking so yummy,it just had to be a butter cake, purple and gold designs,it was so beautiful.

"Nah,am taking it. Thanks Dad"

After all the picture taking session and the stressful but wonderful graduation event,Ebube was beside me as we walked around just enjoying the cool breeze.

"You look dashing"He complimented. I was no longer wearing the graduation gown so my mermaid black gown was visible

"Thanks" I could imagine my face all red.
His hands were inside his pocket,he was wearing a simple caftan and he looked better,seemed school hid his handsome features.

"So you are really going to become a surgeon?"He asked

"Yeah,of course"I replied laughing quietly...there is absolutely nothing funny about that

"I've finally made up my mind to become a journalist, I'll study Mass Communication"He told me.

"I can't imagine you as a journalist honestly, crazy set of people"I said sincerely. We took another road at this point and i saw more students clustered together probably discussing about the best dressed senior.

"Now we are going our different ways,I heard you got a scholarship to study at Oxford"He told me and I nodded. My heart skipped at this point too, were we really going apart?

"Well I got one at Canada"He announced and I grinned widely

"That's great news Ebube, Congratulations,so happy for you"I didn't notice we were holding hands and our fingers were entwined.

"I'll miss you Veronica,i still like you so much"He said seriously looking into my eyes and I chuckled to ease the tension.

"You know those times I pushed you away,I was just acting,I wanted you to continue disturbing me"I confessed and he laughed loudly

"Mafo, initial yanga" He teased
"You are so silly Veronica,thank God I didn't give up"

We are both quiet and then he pulled out a necklace from his pocket and hung it on my neck.

"We are still young Veronica and by the time we achieve our dreams,I hope the flame will still be there but if not,we would continue living"He told me and I nodded.

"I would have loved to kiss you right now but sadly we are in Nigeria"He joked and I laughed.

We both went quiet again and then suddenly he started laughing and I joined him

"So what's funny?"He asked

"I should be asking you that,you laughed first"

"So why are we laughing?"

"I don't know" I replied and we laughed again at our stupidity and that was it,I knew my future lies ahead and I was not afraid to face it,am Veronica after all,am ruggard and I don't bluff.

The End

***
So that's the end
Yes,the actual end