chapter nineteen; the itch

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

"SCOOPS TROOP, DO YOU COPY?" Mike paces back and forth through the centre of the food court, trying his best to get in contact with the others. "We're trapped in the mall and in need of emergency transportation."

Summer sat with El by the tables and chairs as they waited to hear back from their friends but in the time being they needed to stay vigilant and prepared for whatever was coming their way.

Nancy searched the bodies of the dead Russians in the hopes of finding anything they could use to protect themselves and to her luck, she finds two loaded handguns. She doesn't even ask before handing one of them to Summer, bringing back memories of the first time they fought off the Demogorgon.

Lucas and Max stood close by, the boy practising his aim with his slingshot as the girl watched Summer and Nancy check over the guns with worry written all over her face.

"You're gonna kill him, aren't you?" She asks, even though she was sure she already knew the answer.

It truly shocked both older girls just how much sympathy the redhead had for her step-brother. Even after all the teasing and bullying, the unnecessary arguments and screaming, the threats and mistreatment, Max was still protective over him.

"It's just a precaution, in case things get out of control." Summer nods and tries to give the girl the most convincing smile she could. Though, even she didn't know how truthful her words were.

"And not just against Billy. If he knows we're here, so does the Mind Flayer." The mention of the beast sends shivers down Summer's spine and she shutters at the thought of possibly becoming face-to-face with the thing.

In the background Mike is still trying to get a hold of Dustin, the frustration in his voice becoming more and more adamant with each passing word.

With the gun in her hand, Summer stands to move closer to Jonathan and the boy wraps his arm around her shoulder.

"How are you holding up?" He leans his head against hers. Summer appreciated the fact that even though the two had been a little distant since they began their internships it was still as if nothing between them had changed.

"I mean, besides the fact that we're being hunted down by a fleshy monster to which your brother and I have some weird radar for, yeah, I'm good." Summer chuckles to herself but she wasn't sure if it was because of what she said or because of how ridiculous their situation really was.

Jonathan shakes his head, the ghost of a smile appearing before it's gone just the same. "I've really missed you." He sighs.

"Me too." Summer hums.

"I suppose there's no chance that thing will drive, right?" Nancy asks, breaking the moment between the two best friends and pointing to the car El had flung at the Russians.