Part Fifteen (Confused)

Part Fifteen

Nnenna's POV

On my way to school this morning, I came across Hassan and his sister Hadith. It's really my first time seeing them together, and for a moment there I felt sad.
I've always wanted to feel what it's like to have an older sibling.

"Hey dear, what's that your name again?" Hadith asked

"Nnenna," I replied

"Nnenna, lovely name. You're Igbo right?"

"Yes, I am." I said. For a second I couldn't understand if she actually pronounced my name cause it sounded like she said 'Lela'.

"Here, Dith take the snacks you requested." Hassan finally caught up with us and handed his sister some biscuits and one Nutri-milk.

"Thanks." she said. After she put them into her bag she started walking faster.

"Hey," Hassan smiled at me.

" How far?" I asked.

"You mean the distance from our house to the school, it's not very far.." he teased

I chuckled, " no that wasn't what I meant."

"I know, I'm good," he replied, "I'm sorry I couldn't introduce you to my sister.. "

"No it's okay, we've met a few times. I actually met her through Deborah."

"Oh..alright," he realized.
When we eventually entered the school premises, a lot of junior students were greeting us here and there, but I guess they're doing it mainly because of Hassan.

"Goodmorning Sp... Good morning senior,” a junior boy greeted us, simultaneously.

"Goodmorning dear," I replied but Hassan just nodded in response.

"I guess being the senior prefect has its perks," I told him.

"Hmm?" His brows perked in confusion.

"They've been greeting you ever since we arrived," I tell him in case he didn't notice.

"Oh! Yeah I guess but not all the time. It has its pains too." He replied, his eyes set in a distant direction, I followed his gaze and my eyes landed on David. Then I remembered that during the midbreak David was acting out of sorts especially whenever it had to do with Hassan.

"How long have you known David?"

"David.. and I have been friends for a long time. Since we started attending GCH for that matter."

"Am I supposed to take it as a past thing or you guys are still friends?" I asked and he eventually looked at me. In fact he stared straight into my eyes and I got nervous all of a sudden. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to," I looked somewhere else to avoid  his gaze.

"Well, the history about David and I got bad at some point, but I'm hoping things will get better at least before we graduate."

"I'll pray for that." I didn't know why I said that, but I just felt like keeping the conversation going.
He smiled at me, like for the first time since I got close to him, a genuine smile, "Thank you."

“You're welcome." I told him.

Then we finally arrived at our classroom. I wanted to ask him why his sister chose Art and he settled for Science, what was their motivation. And then I saw that there were students in our class so I decided to keep it for another day.

"Hey Debby," I called out to her when I saw her sorting out her books from her desk-locker.

"Hi," she replied rather curtly but I didn't pay it much mind.

"Have you seen Dinma this morning, I gave her my Civic note and we have Civic for the first period. I don't want to be punished oo," I complained.

"Don't worry, she'll come."

As soon as she said those words, David and Dinma came in.

"Good morning, good morning all," she greeted and dramatically wrapped her hands around Debby and I.

"Good morning to you too Dinma," Debby replied while removing her hand.

I spent few minutes watching David and Hassan, they both avoided each other like the other person had a plaque they weren't willing to contact.

The school bell rang indicating that we all come down for the morning devotional assembly. I took out only my purse and Bible and left my bag inside the class. Besides, with Hassan here, he'll surely make sure that no student remains on this floor while assembly is going on.

I started walking out with Debby and Dinma but my purse fell to the floor and as I bent down to pick it up, my hand collided with someone's hand.
I looked up to see David, I remembered the first time I had a clash with him when I spilled Pepsi drink all over his shirt.

I quickly removed my hand and stood up.

"Sorry, I believe it's yours," he asked, handing my purse to me.

"Yes thank you." I collected it.

"So I wanted to tell you that I admire the way you handled the project, I know I was tough to deal with but I applaud you for your high sense of maturity," he said.

For a while I was lost, I didn't understand that he was referring to me.

"Oh thank you, but it's Hassan that was the most mature." I did not lie, Hassan was the brain behind how very smoothly the project went.

He controlled himself from rolling his eyes at my comment, "Uhm, do you have another Bible? Cause I'll be needing one. I don't want to be punished today."

I was tempted to tell him, ' you should have brought one since you don't want to be punished'. But I simply smiled at him and he gave me one in return.  

This is going to be a very long and confusing day.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

So how was the chapter?

That's just me when I have nothing important or sensible to say, I'll just smile at the person.

Amyirechi ♡