Those That Go Bump (MxF)

*Toy Box Monster Boyfriend!*

*I do not own the images in the media space. They can be found with a few quick google searches.*

I was my mother's only child. And with being the only child, I was spoiled rotten, getting everything I wanted and could ever possibly need, within her parameters, of course.

She was a single mother, after all, and she worked her fingers to the bone to keep me happy but she just wasn't there as often as I would've liked.

I was often left with a teenaged babysitter who kept me locked in my playroom because she wanted her boyfriend and friends to come over--not that I ever minded. I had a pretty big imagination as a child so I could sit in a room and play by myself all day, never growing bored.

It also helped that I had a large number of toys to chose from in a wooden toy box. The toy boxes lid was slanted so when I lifted it up, it slid into the box until I pulled it back down. The toy box itself always seemed to be so big to me as a child and any and every small piece from a toy that I put in there always seemed to get lost.

And then, one day when my babysitter locked me in my playroom, I saw that all of the small parts to the toys I thought I lost appeared in a pile on my rainbow rug beside the toy box.

Being a child, I never thought to question it--until I touched something furry deep within the toy box.

I knew then that it couldn't have been a stuffed animal because I kept all of them in my old baby crib so, using my small hand, I felt around, patting at the fur until I touched what felt like skin and heard a giggle.

Pulling my hand out of the toy box and gasping, I sat down, trying to look inside but it was so dark where the light from my ceiling fan never reached, and the darkness seemed to go on for infinity.

"Hello," I whispered into the toy box.

Little me was not ready for the whispered, "Hello," I got back.

I slammed the lid shut and didn't open it for a week. I told my mom about it and she just laughed and said she loved how endless my imagination was.

Being terrified of the thing, the monster that lived in my toy box was an issue for me as all of my favorite toys were in there!

So, I was grateful for when I and my mother were walking down the sidewalk in town one day, a man in a long dark coat stopped us and opened one of the sides of his coat.

"You need this monster spray, kid? You look like you do."

My mother was trying to pull me around him but I dug my heels in.

"Mommy, I need the monster spray for the monster in my toy box! Remember? Please, please, please!"

Her face fell as she realized she was defeated and asked the man how much the spray bottle was.

"For the kid? I'll let you have it for ten dollars."

I watched as my moms' eyes bugged but I figured it was a good price.

"Ten dollars? Are you insane? Ten dollars for a bottle full of what appears to be water? No, definitely not."

She then tried to move around him again but I grabbed her coat.

"Mommy please," I begged and gave her my saddest puppy eyes.

In the end, the man instructed that I give two sprays into any of the dark parts of my room, every night. I should see results after a few days.

My mother grumbled but when we got home, she smelled the contents of the bottle and when she figured it was safe enough for me to play with, she sent me on my way to play while she made dinner.