Chapter 5

I hammer at the side of the bin, yelling. I shout until my voice is hoarse. 

Normally they put me in the bins at break or lunch, so someone hears my cries before long. But now the school is emptying. 

I check my phone. 4:30. School ended half an hour ago. 

I slump even further amidst the bins. I've started to get use to the cloying smell. 

My phone starts ringing making me frown; Jane thinks I stay in the library after school, where phones aren't allowed, and I don't really have any other contacts. 

I glance at my phone. Lucas. I groan. I don't want him to get caught up in this. 

But he is determined. When the call goes to voicemail he calls again. This repeats a couple times before I sigh and pick up the phone.

"Lucas? What's so important?" I ask.

"Where are you? And don't say the library, I've checked 5 times." His voice is firm but tired.

"I... went home." I reply. Best for him to think that.

"Where are you Kara? I phoned Jane and she said you're not there." Wow, he really has been thorough. "Kara?" He sounds tired and worried. 

I sigh.

"Outside the cafeteria. Third bin from the right." Well, so much for him not knowing. But I don't want to say here all night. He is silent for a moment, before sighing himself.

"Kara..." He hangs up and I am left alone once more. 

The minutes drag by. I check the phone. 4:36. How has so little time gone by? 

I hear a creaking noise above me and look up. Bright light peeks through,blinding after the dark. I shield my eyes. 

"Kara?" It's Lucas. I look at him,half mad that he knows, but mostly grateful. I smile up at him as he reaches in and takes my hand. He grips my elbow and helps me out. The sunlight is harsh,and I cover my eyes again.

 "Kara, why didn't you just tell me you were here? I could've got you out ages ago." Lucas stares at me, confusion and possibly hurt in his eyes. I instantly feel bad, because he seems wounded that I don't want him to help. 

"I.... Uh.... Um... Lucas, I didn't want you getting involved. If you don't help them bully me, then you still might be able to be popular because of your dad, but if you help me, then your social status will crash and burn." 

He is silent, a frown on his face, clearly in deep thought. When he finally speaks, his voice is full of torment. "All of my life, people have wanted to be my friend because of my dad. Not because they liked me, or they thought my terrible jokes were funny, but because my dad was famous and a great driver.And then you were nice to me. You didn't know my dad was who he is, you just were nice. And I liked you." He speaks as if unsure of himself, like he is only saying what he has barely dared to even think before.

I stare at him in shock. Red spreads on my cheeks. 

I want to be his friend. But... after her, I can't.

But Lucas seems genuine. I nod at him. "I was nice to you because you were nice to me. On Friday evening I was terrified, but you were there, said hello, and didn't automatically treat me like garbage." I say, indicating the bins next to me. 

Lucas smiles, a sad,sweet smile full of untold emotion. "Let's go home," he says. He walks me to the car park at the front. Jane won't be here for a couple minutes, so I sit down on the wooden bench. Lucas sits next to me. 

"How do you cope?" I ask after a moment of silence. Lucas looks at me in bewilderment. "I mean, I don't know who my parents are, so I don't have to live up to their name of anything. But,don't people expect you to be a great driver and racer?" I ask. 

He stares at me and then laughs. "I know. My dad is already teaching me how to drive whenever he's free." He doesn't seem enthusiastic, just accepting of his pre-planned fate. 

"What do you want to do? Really?" He stares at me. "Well, no one has asked me that before. I want to be a vet, in somewhere hot, and amazing. Like Africa." His face lights up as he talks but at the same time, he still looks tired. 

"Are you ok?" I ask."You look worn out." He nods and sighs, rubbing the back of his neck. "Ashley...is very flirtatious." 

I try to hide the smile, but I can't help it. "She's after you. Imagine, Ashley Nates, girlfriend of the son of the best F1 driver in the world. She wants that." I reply. He starts to laugh but stops. 

"She only wants me because of my dad." 

I take his hand and say, "I'd want you because of you." He turns to me in surprise, but I jump up and run to Jane's car which is pulling in. 

"Bye, Lucas!" I can't believe I just said that. As Jane leaves the parking lot, I catch a glimpse of Lucas' face. He looks surprised and bewildered. 

He lifts his arm and waves.

I just hope history doesn't repeat itself.

///

Hope you liked it. I'm publishing chapters really quick, but I write them in Word and them copy them across. That way I don't need Internet, so it's easier. But I have written quite a lot already, but I won't publish again for a few days.

What do you guys think happened to Kara that makes her anxious about trusting Lucas? Who do you think  is "her"?

Like always, check out my friends, (you know them by now and I can't be bothered to type their names with the weird @ symbol). 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!

Kat x

P.S; All the songs and images i use at the top aren't mine, I found them on the Internet. Credit goes to all the singers in the songs and the photographers in the photos!