Chapter 1

My fingers stuck to the keyboard as I attempted to write the first sentence of a novel for the fifty-seventh time. Residue from an ill-conceived Cheeto binge stained my skin and the golden dust left a trail where I paced back and forth.

Tessa, my ever-supportive agent, demanded a new chapter before the month's end. Yet no matter how hard I stared at the blank screen, the plot for my next novel wouldn't come.

I sighed. The first two flowed out on their own and didn't need any coaxing. Both were written in a few painstaking months with London Fogs acting as my main sustenance.

But this time, chugging tea had done nothing but cause frequent trips to the bathroom; I was beginning to lose hope.

I checked the time, my silver watch glittered in the evening sun, then I swore. On top of putting me to work, Tessa secured tickets to the largest end-of-the-year event.

Dozens of L.A's most notable names planned on attending Daniel Kane's comeback performance. It had been years since his last concert, one I remembered scrimping every spare cent to see.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. But Tessa thought going now, after my own limited success, would inspire me.

I saw it as an excuse to get away from the cursed screen from hell.

I peeled myself away from the desk and rinsed away my anxiety for the night. Tessa showed up moments after I got out of the shower. Her ash blonde hair was pulled back into an elegant bun while a plum-colored gown covered her soft curves.

A black dress bag hung off her fingers. "Love the wet head look." She whistled while surveying my toweled appearance. After living alone for years, I'd forgotten how to be bashful in my own home.

I leaned on the door frame and rolled my eyes. I had long become used to her sarcasm. "Enjoy it while it lasts." I turned on my heels, hoping she didn't notice the piles of half-eaten junk food at my desk and chastise me.

She followed me into my bedroom.

"At least I didn't have to drag you away from your laptop this time." The good old days. "How much did you get done?"

I flopped onto my bed, prepared to make another exaggerated excuse. But then she went to look for herself. Tessa reached for my laptop, but I jumped up to intercept her.

"It's pretty rough."

She narrowed her pale green eyes."It's blank again, isn't it?"

I opened my mouth and a strained noise came out."I-" my shoulders slumped, "Got nothing."

She clicked her tongue, her eyeshadow sparkling with every small movement. "Well, that might change tonight."

I frowned."Why?" Tessa's knowing expression never failed to set me on edge. As far as I was concerned, the concert was simply an excuse to ignore my responsibilities.

But clearly, Tess has other ideas.

"No reason." She shrugged, concealing her true motive, and then tossed the dress bag onto my messy bed. "Time to shine, babe."

She unzipped the bag and revealed a skin-tight gown. Pale blue crystals adorned the tan fabric, drawing the eye to the most distinct features on a woman's body and congregating in thick swirls.

I sucked in a breath. "That looks," I struggled to find the right word, "revealing."

Tessa brushed a blonde curl from her face. As always, she was unfazed about making a statement. If you could call it that. "Sometimes you gotta look the part."