Chapter 9

I stared at the invitation to dinner and debated typing a response. Despite deleting Jay's contact from my phone, I had memorized his number.

Why now? I questioned his timing and how it aligned with the deterioration of his marriage.

Before my fingers could touch the keyboard, I received a message from Tessa.

"ALERT. Call me now."

I sighed, secretly pleased to have an excuse to avoid Jay, and dialed Tess. I started the walk to my car, hoping to beat the looming storm clouds, and clutched my bag.

Her voice spilled out of the speaker the moment the call connected.

"Mrs. Leight's assistant sent me an email last Wednesday and it somehow got sorted into my spam file. I'm so sorry."

I shifted the phone against my ear, "Was it anything serious?"

"She's throwing a party tonight at their country club. You're invited." Tessa's worried tone crackled from the poor reception.

"It's alright," I said while digging for my keys. Once my fingers brushed against the thick leather key chain, I pulled them out. Then, glanced at the faded engraving, remembering the day Jay gave it to me. "What time is the party?"

"It starts at seven," Tessa paused, "Should I tell them you're coming?"

I thought about Jay, the invitation, and everything I didn't have the energy to say.

"I'll be there. I didn't have anything planned for the night anyway."

Whatever reason he had to message me would have to wait.

I had one of Mrs. Leight's infamous soirees to attend.

****

Tessa met me in front of my apartment with a dress bag in one hand and a pizza in the other.

A woman after my own heart.

"Ready for the fastest hair and makeup ever?"

I unlocked the door, "Sounds painful, but I'll consider it for a slice."

Tessa snickered, "What do you think this is for?" She waved the pizza box around on the palm of her hand. Our shared love for food was why our dynamic worked. Armed with delicious bribes, Tessa kept me from shying away from the public.

My career thanked her.

Once I pushed the door open, Tessa led the way inside. I flicked on the lights so one or both of us wouldn't trip and sprain an ankle over the single step leading into the kitchen. I dropped my bag onto the counter and didn't hesitate to snag a piece of the glorious meat lovers' pizza in front of me.

While I chewed, Tessa unzipped the dress bag and revealed a sultry black lace gown.

"Kenna just finished this one. We were waiting for the Gala but tonight seemed a little more pressing." Tessa hung the dress off one of my cabinet handles and pulled her blonde hair into a bun.

I whistled, "Damn, baby. I know you've missed me but we just got here."

Tessa rolled her eyes at my dirty jokes, "You're such a perv."

"You love me," I stuck my tongue out then turned my attention to my dress, "Love it, I'll blend into the shadows, but we have to do something about my face." After a long day of class and driving in the thunderstorm raging outside, I looked like a washed-up raccoon.

And that was being generous.

"It's not that bad," Tessa said but started reaching for her bag anyway. Then, she started walking out of the kitchen in strides, "Bring your pizza."