chapter 3

"Why of course" the gentle voice called out as her nimble fingers lifted the rough paper of the newspaper "a job, a job why hadn't I thought of that already" her eyes brightened with each word that escaped her freshly painted lips, perfectly paint...

"Why of course" the gentle voice called out as her nimble fingers lifted the rough paper of the newspaper "a job, a job why hadn't I thought of that already" her eyes brightened with each word that escaped her freshly painted lips, perfectly painted in the softest red colour she could muster. The sticky table top beneath her hand as she placed down the paper, watching the wind she had created with the simple gesture, twirl the smoke from her cigarette in various sensual patterns, coating her vision as her eyes flicked to the sunlight seeping in from the musty windows.

The windows coated in a thick muck of moss and dirt, some gaps allowing in bright rays of sunlight, trailing across the floor of the bed and breakfast she was staying at, crawling across every inch of the damaged wooden floorboards and caressing each inch of the damages and dips. The cigarette slowly burnt out as she collected some belongings, smoothing down her silky hair which stayed in perfect condition, the cold metal of coins pressed into her palm as she opened her small purse, a rather delicate thing it was.

A gentle cream colour, with small shiny pearls strung across it, reflecting her in odd distortions but her obvious beauty had yet to be contaminated by the distortions. Soft taps filled the air, coating her ears and calming down any nerves she might have, getting a job couldn't be that hard, there was always a opportunity that could be taken up in Small Heath.

As she passed a mirror she stopped, her heart falling deep into her stomach as it stopped beating, with a swift and timely motion she had lifted her curls on one side, only to reveal the lack of her earring. Her hand faltered as she grasped a little tighter at her curls "No-no" her hoarse voice muttered "I-I, there's no way I lost it, how could I have lost it" she continued her voice snapping and breaking in places as her breath quickened, she let go of her curls steading herself against the damp walls, wallpaper peeling off in large clumps and littering the floors of the room, it was all she could afford, she had money but it had to last, long enough at least.

"He gave it to me" her broken voice managed to mutter, memories flashing infront of her glassy eyes, tears threatening to fall but she couldn't let them, she couldn't.

With a deep breath and a quick pat down of her cheeks with a powdered brush, just incase any tears fell, she left the room, slowly heading out onto the streets of Small Heath, grasping the purse with unknown strength as her heels balanced on the cobblestones, she couldn't worry about the earring.

The day ticked by, slowly and each place she approached turnt her away, she was too pretty to work at the bar, she was too feminine to work in the factory, she was too soft to work in the jewelers, she was too everything to work anywhere it seemed. "One more left" her soft voice mumbled as she stood by the side of the pavement, the streets darkening at this stage in the day as the sun started to set, his eyes fell upon her as he sat in the small shop he had just paid to turn her away. His hands toying with the small and delicate earring, small and delicate like her.

She wore her heart on her sleeve, almost ready to just give up and not apply to the last job, it wouldn't work, but she knew that she should try, her money wouldn't last long. "a nanny?" She pondered as she started on her way towards her home, she could apply over the phone and luckily the bed and breakfast had one, as bad as it was it would still do.