Chapter 1: Moving Day

Swoosh! The wind twirled around my tan, bare legs. My sweaty hands gripped the unbearably cold railing beside me. "Jaaannneeee, come out wherever you are," I could hear her voice getting closer. My heart was beating faster. And then, she and I were inches from each other. My eyes clamped shut as I felt her raw, wrinkly skin brush across my face. She shook me like I weighed nothing. "Jane. Jane. JANE!"

"Jane!" I sat up quickly gasping for air. Beside me, was my 7 year old sister Hannah.
"Woah, take it easy there. I was just trying to get you up so we can finish packing. Today's moving day, remember?"
"Of course I remember. You wouldn't stop bugging me yesterday."
I complained, still a little panicked.
"But it's exciting! We'll be in a whole new place! I hear Bradley Hills is a super cool town! There's some really cool clubs at the school there!"
Yeah, just what I need. I thought.

"Girls, are you all packed yet? We have to head out by noon if we want to be there by tomorrow morning."

"I'm all ready mother! I was just trying to get Jane up."

Hannah skipped away excitedly in her lacey pink dress as I sat in my bed, staring at the wall. I rubbed my bright blue crystal on my necklace that my grandfather gave me before he passed. I remembered how he always would say that I was his little monkey because I climbed so much. But he passed seven years ago. His death was a lot for a six year old to handle. I always felt safe with my crystal. But then I thought back to my nightmare. Who was that woman? What was she doing in my dream? My daydreaming was interrupted by my father's voice.

"Jane come help me move the sofa please!"

I jogged down the hall and met my dad in the living room.

"You're still in your pajamas?"

He smiled at me. My dad was always super sweet to me.

"Yeah, I guess I had slept hard and didn't wake up to my alarm."

"Well, let's get this couch in the moving truck."

On the count of three, my father and I lifted the sofa out to one of the trucks as my mother carefully placed the gnomes and garden decorations into a box. After we came back inside, my father told me I should probably get dressed.

"Does everyone have their stuff in the trucks?"

My mother asked.
Once everyone made sure they hadn't forgotten anything, we separated into the two trucks. Thank goodness I didn't have to go with Hannah. She could be a real handful sometimes. Me and my father rode together which was pretty fun. For hours we were jamming out to music without ever getting bored. By the time it got dark, we started getting settled down and I read my favorite book called 'The Call' By Fay McCarthy. It's mostly legends about Sirens and how their singing attracted sailors near by. But just as I was about to close my book, the truck stopped.