Chapter 5: Merideth

"Trust me, I know a lot of things," She replied. "Oh, and I have something for you." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a rusty key. The mysterious girl examined the key and tossed it over to me. I caught it in my hands and moved my head around it, trying to inspect the key from every angle.
"So...what is this for?" I asked.
"You'll have find that out yourself. You will know when the time is right."
She answered with a mischievous grin.
I was still very puzzled, as usual.
I placed the key in my back pocket, and faced the mysterious young woman.
"So...I never got your name..." I inquired.
"The name's Merideth. I grew up in Missouri with my 3 brothers 2 step-sisters, and my pa. I never really felt like I was ever acknowledged no matter what I did. I felt alone and did dumb things for attention. I started to change my style--I started wearing revealing clothing, but I started getting unwanted attention. My father did not approve and he started expressing his anger torward me. I don't remember much after that."
My heart started to race as I related to Merideth. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I found someone who understood me. I recently started to do similar things when I felt neglected my whole life. My grandfather was someone who I trusted and he always made sure I had somebody to talk to.
"Hey, you there?" Merideth asked, tapping on my forehead. It seemed as though she had just realized that I had been thinking a lot about what she said.