Chapter 10🩸

June 12, 1994
Desire Hemera

I told myself I would never come back to this place ever again but yet, here I am. Back in this damn bar. Apparently K-Ci somehow convinced DeVanté to write a song for him to sing for Mary. I'm not really sure what K's motive is with all this but I guess it's cute. He has an incredible voice on him so I'm all for his performance tonight. That's all I'm here for, support. Nothing or nobody else.

"You nervous?" I asked K-Ci while we sat down at a table with Jojo.

K-Ci kissed his teeth, "please! You know who the fuck I am?" He arrogantly asked.

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my wine. We waited patiently for the announcer to call K-Ci on to the stage. I was dazed off into my own little world while K and Jo conversed, until I spotted Dalvin and DeVanté walk up on stage to adjust a few things on their instruments.

Of course my eyes wandered around the man who I've been avoiding for the past month. I almost forgot how handsome he was. Today he wasn't sporting his usual all black attire but instead an all white oversized long sleeve shirt, gold chain, black jeans and black timbs. His hair was no longer in twists. It was parted in the middle with two cornrows. I always liked how he was different from most men with his style. Everything he does suit's him.

I must've been staring way too hard because his eyes were now looking deeply into mine

I must've been staring way too hard because his eyes were now looking deeply into mine. A smile slowly appeared on his face, much to my surprise. I thought he hated me for disappearing on him but I guess not.

For some reason, I wanted to look away but I couldn't. My eyes were just glued to him. I returned a soft smile to him and he winked at me before turning around, going back to what he was doing.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in and noticed K-Ci and Jojo looking at me with stupid ass smiles on their faces.

"Shut up." I mean mugged them and rolled my eyes.

"Aye, we ain't say nun'." K-Ci chuckled.

The announcer finally made his way to the stage and approached the mic.

"Good evening beautiful people. Tonight we have a special guest coming to the stage. He's a fellow local of Brooklyn and wanted to take this opportunity to dedicate a lil somethin' to a very special lady in here. Please welcome to the stage Mr. Cedric Hailey!" The crowd gave a warm welcoming applause as K-Ci proudly made his way up on stage.

DeVanté and Dalvin got into their positions while K-Ci took a seat on a stool.

"How you doin' everybody? This song was written by the very talented pianist sittin' to the left of me, DeVanté Swing, shoutout to him. I wanted to dedicate this to one of the most beautiful women I've ever laid my eyes on. She caught my eye the very first day I stepped in here. She ain't too fond of me but hopefully that'll change tonight." K-Ci said in the mic and the crowd giggled at his last few words.