Prologue

Love. One of the most powerful words known to man, and yet thrown about so easily. We casually use the word so often that it takes a deep reminder to remember its true power.  Love isn't the fluff, sunshine and rainbows that we portray it as. It's much deeper than that.

    Love is going through darkness for someone else. Love is desperate desire to take the pain of our loved ones and bear it ourselves. Love is the willingness to put someone else's life above our own. There's no boundary. No logic to limit love. It's not just an emotion.

    It's a state of mind.

    But it has to work both ways. One-sided love only causes pain to the lover. And that pain plants the seeds of jealousy, resentment, and eventually even hatred. Those seeds take root, smothering joy, and blocking out the light and warmth. The only things left are darkness and cold.

    But a strong, loving bond between two people is formidable indeed. They can overcome almost anything life throws at them if they rely on each other and share their strengths. They don't have to fight their battles alone. For they are never alone.

    Love has its ups and downs. Fights, disagreements, tragedies. Opinions won't always align, they won't always see eye to eye. Patience is tested time and again. But if each truly loves the other, they can work through those situations and allow them to strengthen their relationship even more.

    That is the true meaning of love.