chapter 5

By the time I returned with a glass of water you were asleep, all the worry wiped out of your face. making your face look like the most peaceful and soothing like instrumental music.

I don't know for how much time I stood there staring at you, I was startled by your phone ringing. I was hesitant at first then it kept on ringing. After about 3 missed calls. I took the phone, I half-hoped you would wake and by the sound of the ringing and save me from the misery of answering the phone. But you didn't even stir all this time.

By the time I was about to receive the call, it went to voicemail. Then the screen disappeared, I was faced with the picture of you and save it.

I didn't know if it was hurt for not being in her place like I always imagined it to be or the sense of relief I felt for having this unseen boundary separating us making me question my motives a bit harder.

I never knew then.

Nor do I know now.

I just remember keeping your phone on the table and not trusting myself enough, I locked my room door. Sleep was a long way to go, instead, I spent a sleepless night thinking about all the things which didn't matter. Without me knowing I fell asleep.

When the next morning I woke up, I hurried to see you.

you were gone.

Like you never even came to my house, like a shadow disappearing in the darkness. When I saw my phone there was a message from you. A string of words trying to apologize and thank at the same time.