t h r e e

He slept on the floor. She had not felt comfortable with the idea of him sleeping next to her. Not after all that he had put her through. She craved to feel the weight of his body as she let the rise and fall of his chest lull her to sleep. She was also significantly smarter than the girl she was back then. She wanted to wake up to him. His beautiful face against hers. His breath fanning across her face and his arm wrapped around her body. She starved herself of that opportunity because she could not get hurt so easily again.

If Geralt walked back into her life a few years before, she would have given him everything. His mere presence would have ensured her forgiving him. However, she was now older and a lot angrier. If she did not love Cirilla and Jaskier, she would not have allowed for them to enter when they first appeared at her doorstep, yet alone stay for multiple nights. Despite the fact that she was adamant in her mind that without Cirilla and Jaskier she would not have let Geralt in, she knew that in reality, she would have betrayed herself. Pretending she was strong was good enough for her.

A part of her was mad at herself for purposely choosing to wake up to a cold bed. She could have finally woken up to Geralt. She would see what he looked like asleep. His hair fanned across his face as his chest rose and fell in his slumber. It was an image she envisioned multiple times over many years. At one point she would have killed for it.

He woke before her and watched for a while before he prepared Roach for the day. She looked peaceful asleep but he heard her cries in the night. She screamed his name. When she first fell asleep, she moaned his name. He had been curious as to how it would sound and hearing it made him struggle to sleep. The next time she called his name, she sounded heartbroken.

He wanted to wake her up and show her that he was still there. That he was in front of her and he wanted her more than he wanted anything. The beautiful woman in front of him. She was in front of him for such a long time and he didn't make a move. It was the biggest mistake he had made in a long time.

*

Geralt left the following morning. He had another hunt and so Y/N looked after Cirilla. It was agreed that the princess was still not in the right state of mind to be travelling. In fact, she was more of a liability. She had no control over her powers or her emotions which meant that Geralt would have been more worried about her than anything else. It wasn't the safest for her to stay at the cottage for much longer as Nilfgaardian soldiers could potentially track her.

Geralt thought it would be best for Y/N continue with her usual routine in an attempt to avoid rousing suspicion. It meant that Cirilla would be left alone whilst Y/N made trips to the market, but she had to be cautious to not be seen buying too much food, either. There was a fine line between balancing the numerous issues that arose the second Geralt walked back into her life.

It made it difficult for her to feed the four of them and Roach. She took much from the land but even then, it was not always enough. Her supply of grain had sufficiently depleted and the amount of rye available was still minimal. There had also been few rains which meant that food was becoming scarcer. Realistically, the situation was quickly becoming dire.

It was a concern for not just her. Geralt was worried too. He felt guilt for the fact that Y/N did not accept payment still. Even when those with him had exhausted her resources. Her limitless generosity made him want her. He wanted to be with her as much as a Witcher could be.

*

He made it a habit to buy food from villages he worked in. Grains and smoked fish were his usual purchases. They lasted for a fairly long time and they were relatively light. He tried to buy as much as possible without her outright rejecting it. It started with some dried fruit and nuts and he slowly grew each food 'gift' to be larger. He considered it to be a contribution more than anything but she did not see it the same way.