t e n

*

| one month later |

*

She waited for Geralt. It was his first hunt since he was injured and she was a little uneasy with being alone. It was the first time she had been away from her family in over a month and the silence was uncomfortable. To some degree, the lack of noise was unsettling but it was the loneliness of being completely alone that struck her. She did not have that problem before but a lot had changed since then.

A lot had changed since she first met Geralt. But a lot had stayed the same, too. Whilst her home had changed, she found herself doing many of the same things as she did before she left. The garden was lush and green from the vegetables she planted almost as soon as the cottage was brought and she had gotten some livestock too.

Life had almost returned to normal. It was surreal being with Geralt. Especially after he asked for her hand in marriage. He knew about her want for a normal life. A marriage with children but he could not provide that. Not the children, at least. He was aware that he could never sire a child as he was but he knew that his life was not made for it. Yet he wanted to give her everything she had ever wanted and it would have never been enough to apologise for the pain that he put her through.

*

A week passed without Geralt, Jaskier or Cirilla. She spent a lot of time in the woods to preoccupy herself. Much of that time she spent trying to capture sparrows. After she caught about five, she took them back to her home and tried to breed them. She tried to build nests for them in trees in her garden. It was different to looking after chickens. Very different. But it became a welcomed challenge. A way to keep her mind off of the fear for Geralt.

Her trips to the market were just as frequent as when Geralt was injured and she became a fairly welcomed local. After the whispers and gossip about her relationship with a Witcher became known, opinions on her were split. Some loved that she was there as if there was ever a monster, they would not have to pay for Geralt's services whilst the other half wanted her out. She was a freak in their eyes but she did not care. Their opinions did nothing for her and she always sold out of stock at the market.

At the market, she saw a few sheep on sale for ten marks apiece and could not resist buying them. They were not sheared yet and it was almost warm enough for them to need to lose their wool so she found it to be a wise purchase. She'd have enough wool to make some blankets and clothing which meant that she did not have to purchase them. It was the biggest issue of the new cottage: she had to pay for the things she had in her old one. In spite of the cost of wool brushes and a wheel, it was still much cheaper than constantly buying supplies when she needed them.

*

She had gotten back into a routine without Geralt but old habits were hard to shake off. She still made too much food and left water out for Roach on the off chance that they would return in her sleep. That never stopped her from hoping that they would. She wished for them to come home before she slept like a nightly prayer. Bring them home safe.

*

When she returned from the market the following day, she found a stack of fresh firewood and Roach tied to the front of the cottage. Geralt was back. She pets the horse before entering and finding her family reunited. She was too surprised at their return that she failed to see the cat at the Witcher's feet. Geralt kissed her as soon as she entered and pulled her into her bedroom to talk.

'Do you remember when we spoke about children?' She nodded and Geralt continued. 'I know of a boy. His mother is going to give him up to the school of Wolves but we can adopt him. I don't want to put him through what I've been through. Can we?' She was so taken aback. She did not know what to say.