s e v e n

*

They did not leave Sodden as soon as daylight broke the way Geralt intended. Geralt, whilst healed, was not entirely in peak condition. At some point in the evening, he stopped wincing as he moved but she did not want him on the road until he was completely better. 'It would be more of a risk to us as a group, Geralt. One more day, just until you're better.' She peppered kisses on his face and neck until he relented. A single, low-toned grunt was enough to let her know that she had won.

She lay in bed with Geralt for a while. The pair of them basked in the other's breathing. The presence and awareness of the other's life. It was more than enough for her to exist with him. 'We are going to get a house.' Geralt's voice was dangerously low. She closed her eyes and hummed in response as her head nodded against his arm. 'I mean it. We are getting a home. I'm sorry you had to leave your old one.'

Between the pair of them, they were close enough to saving enough money for a little cottage nearby. She was excited to do so as it would be cheaper than renting a room every night but what she really wanted was a home again. The thought of having one with Geralt made her smile. 'I trust you, Geralt.' She is not really sure of what else she can say but that. It summed up everything she felt towards him.

She wanted her own bed to sleep in and her own pots to cook in. That was their goal as a couple. She felt a sense of longing, however. She wanted to own a home with her husband and she did not think that it would be something that Geralt would give her. It was not that she was against living with Geralt before marriage but she liked the idea of marriage.

*

She went to the woods later that day for the umpteenth day in a row. With the sparrow trap in hand, she wanted to catch one more. She wanted to make one more potion for Geralt as he was down to one. She just needed enough to make sure that he was okay.

She still had enough herbs back in the room in the inn so she lay the trap down and hoped for the best. There was little she could do but wait, really. In that time, she scavenged the woods in hope that there would be something she could sell at the market.

It was peaceful in the woods and she hoped more than anything that it would be the last time that she was actually there to make money for a home. If things went right, Geralt would need one more hunt before they were able to buy it outright. That was the real aim.

By nightfall, the trap was still empty. She sighed and walked back to the inn with a basket full of various herbs, berries, and nuts. It was not the result that she intended but her saving grace was being able to return to Geralt's arms. It was all she really wanted after a long day.

*

Dinner was waiting for her upon her arrival. Geralt had waited for her before he ate so they could eat together. He loved being able to spend time with her. Not that he would properly admit it, but she knew. 'Where were you today?' Geralt stuffed a bite of bread in his mouth before he washed it down with a swig of ale.

'I was in the woods. I tried to catch a sparrow to make some more of your potion.' She shrugged her shoulders in disappointment and ate a mouthful of stew. 'I did manage to collect some stuff that we can sell at the market before we leave tomorrow, though.' Her tone was happy as she indicated towards the full basket.

Geralt smiled lightly. He grabbed her hand from across the table and brought it to his lips. He was known to be a brute opposed to a gentleman and the gentle gesture made her heart swell. It was so tender and something Geralt only really ever showed her or Cirilla. 'Thank you.'

She only smiled back at him as she stared deeply into his amber eyes. She loved them. Geralt had expressed to her numerous times just how much he hated them. They, along with his hair, were constant reminders of the process that took him to become a Witcher. He felt as if they taunted him as he could have had a much more different life. A normal one. 'I love you.'