3. thank you

Nami decided to ask something that she wanted to know for a while but knew that she would only get it when the two were alone and he was calm, which was rare.

And she wanted to ask seriously and hear a serious answer as well.

"Do you think about getting married, Luffy?"

He had already finished swallowing all the ice cream, so he leaned sloppily on the chair and looked at her. The two were considerably close with their knees touching and the simple contact sent shivers down her spine. Oh c'mon, you look like a thirteen-year-old girl, Nami. Pull yourself together, the redhead thought and rolled her eyes.

"Haa? Why do you guys always wanna know this??"

"Hmmm, I don't know. I think it's because we would like to meet the woman who would finally sweep the great idiot Monkey D. Luffy off his feet", she gave a wry smile.

It was true. Nami always had this curiosity because she imagined this woman to be a completely fun and cheerful person, completely crazy about adventures and with luck, smarter than the captain (someone needed to be wise in the relationship). The navigator never imagined whether this imaginary woman would be beautiful or not because she knew that this isn't something that Luffy would consider important. Nor is something that worried the redhead because she knows she is gorgeous and has always been confident, so she wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Is Hancock more beautiful? Possibly. Did Nami like that fact? No, but she cared way more about the fact that the Empress was able to stand her ground against enemies without needing any help. That was something that bothered her more than she would like to admit.

"Dunno. It's not something I think about that much. We have so many adventures ahead, Nami!! I don't know if I want to worry about that kind of thing. If it happens, it happens", he shrugged.

An answer that fitted the boy. Luffy was a free spirit and that's why he was fascinating. His simple mind let him enjoy life better than many people in this world.

"Incredibly, you're right, Luffy. But I'm sure we'll all be happy to have the pirate queen on board", she winked at him.

Nami knew that, on the one hand, it was not true. She would undoubtedly suffer from seeing him in the arms of another woman, but she knew she'd be happy if he was happy. Isn't that what love is about? Knowing how to let the person go and be happy for their happiness?

Our relationship is more than my feelings. Remember that, Nami.

Suddenly, Nami remembered another thing that had made home in her mind since Luffy told them about his adventures in the two years they were apart. She knows that it would be selfish of her and that it would go a little beyond the boy's limit of talking about serious things, but the redhead liked to think that they had enough intimacy for her to ask about it.

"And Hancock? Do you think about her?", Nami tried to ask in an unpretentious way.

"Hmm? Hancock is my friend."

"But Hancock likes you. You know that, don't you?"

Luffy sighed and leaned his head on the back of the chair looking at the ceiling.

"...Yeah. Or not because I... I really don't know where she got that from. She says she wants to marry me, but I honestly don't want to. And I don't know... I'm not the smartest person in the world and I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes, right? I really don't understand, Nami!"

"But you're amazing, Luffy!"

Nami held his hand quickly because of the loving instinct she always reserved for him. She wouldn't, under any circumstances, let him think that kind of thing about himself. Was he an idiot? Yes. Didn't do smart things every now and then? Yes. But if they asked her to describe Monkey D. Luffy with just one word, the answer would be incredible.

"You are capable of so many things, you airhead. And there's no one who doesn't like you in this world. You're a good guy, so I don't want to hear you say that about yourself again, do you hear me? Otherwise, I swear I will punch you."

"Sorry sorry Nami, don't hit me pleaaaase-"

Nami didn't hit him, but pinched his nose with a playful smile and Luffy returned it with a happy smile.

"You know Nami, you're one of the most amazing people I've ever met!!", he ran his hand over her head and stroked her hair a little, "Thank you for accepting to be part of my crew, shishishi."

It was true that Nami was trying to avoid any physical contact with the captain as much as possible but screw it. She really needed to hug him. She needed to feel him close and put as much feeling into that gesture because Luffy didn't know how much he saved her.

He saved her conscience. He saved her from so many life and death situations. Saved her soul.

The hug she gave when she met him at that time in Zou was strong but full of sadness. Luffy has always been her emotional pillar and she wouldn't deny it. He was always present at all times he needed and always gave unconditional support even when he had no idea what was going on.

I'm the one who should be thanking you, Captain.

In the blink of an eye, Nami jumped into his arms without warning, clutched him tightly to her chest and hoped he wouldn't realize that this was a hug that screamed I won't leave you at all. Initially, the boy was surprised, with his hands raised in the air, not knowing what to do. But hesitantly, he wrapped his arms around Nami in a light embrace and rested his head on her shoulders.

Such a kind gesture that only her captain was able to perform. And that simple but strong hug given in the middle of a crowded and colorful ice cream shop would stay with her forever. Nami would revisit it as many times as she wanted and keep it in her heart as one of the most important treasures she has ever conquered in her life.

She knew she had already breached Luffy's personal space for too long, so she reluctantly pulled away from him and ruffled his hair. She had no problem exceeding that space limit when it was to put reason in his head, but for acts of affection like that, she preferred to run away.

It was very risky because Nami could say a lot with simple gestures and well, she didn't want to lose everything. Luffy still had the characteristic giant smile on his face that the redhead never got tired of seeing.

"Okay, enough of this serious talk. Since you decided to come for a walk with me, I set up a place for us to go. I know you think I'm not that fun, but I'll show you that I can be as much fun as Chopper or Usopp!"

"Nami, that time-"

"Water under the bridge, captain. Come on, I'll take you to an amusement park nearby, what do you think?"

"SERIOUSLY, NAMI?? AWESOME!!"

"Seriously, you fool."

What I don't do for you, huh.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Notes: Luffy is a very cheerful boy, but the one from now is also more serious. And I don't think he's like Goku who had no idea what wedding meant (even because Luffy said straight to Hancock's face that he won't marry her). I believe he does know what these things are, but he has no notion of how to do that and is too innocent to realize.