Chapter Six

[Based on 1x02 - Wendigo]

Edited: No

- - - - -

~ Lost Creek, Colorado; Randy's Bar ~

Later in the night, the Winchester siblings and Declan found a bar. Dec and Sam went ahead inside whilst Dean and Mikayla stayed out by the cars. The middle Winchester sibling hadn't even realised that her older brother hadn't gone inside, she was too busy staring blankly at her phone as she sat sideways in the driver's seat of the Riviera, the door open and her legs hanging out.

The huntress had Nicholas Hart's contact pulled up, her thumb hovering over the call button. She had no clue what to do, there was a chance that this whole case was merely a coincidence but nothing in her life ever was. Despite knowing this, she was still hesitant to call; she wasn't ready to admit to her mentor what had actually happened all those years ago.

"So, you gonna tell me what's going on with you or not?" Dean asked, snapping her out of her thoughts as he stopped before the woman.

Mikayla sighed, attempting to find the right words to explain. "Over five years ago, I was here on a case. It ended badly, the hunter with me got hurt. I'd been away from you guys and Dad for about 7 months and I had been doing perfectly fine up until that moment."

"What do you mean?" Dean questioned, leaning against the side of the Riviera as he spoke with his sister. Said girl fiddling with the phone in her hands.

"Hunting 101: you can't save everyone. I came to terms with that long before I left home, but there's a difference between not being able to save someone and someone getting hurt because of you. I wasn't prepared for the latter, spent a while thinking I should just give up on hunting solo." Kayla admitted as her hands stilled, her eyes unfocused as she looked straight ahead of her.

"Clearly that didn't stick." He observed, motioning with his head towards the bar, referencing the Leadworth who had stuck by his sister's side for the past four years.

"Yeah." She chuckled, shaking her head. "We have equal amounts of dumbassery that seem to cancel each other out when we're in the same room."

Despite his grudge towards the huntress, Dean couldn't help but be happy for his little sister. He refused to admit it to himself but Mikayla seemed so much happier now than she did in her last year with her family, even with the current case taking its toll on her.

"C'mon, let's go see what our nerds have found." Dean said as he walked a few steps away from the car before stopping, waiting whilst she hopped out of the Riviera and locked her beloved car prior to joining him.

Inside, the bar was a little noisy but not necessarily too crowded. Dean and Mikayla weaved their way through people and tables to reach the two hunters who were staring intently at Sam's laptop.