Chapter 10.

It was almost a pleasure seeing the boring white and red building of John Harmon High on Monday morning. Even though the dreary event of my mother's death anniversary was coming this week, I couldn't help feeling a little happy to come to school. Leaving aside the hell that Parker and his friends might put me through, I had the joy of looking forward my friends, Hanna, Jackson and surprisingly, Blake, who still doesn't see that I'm nothing, but a lost cause.

I shouldered my messenger bag and walked in through the blue door, into the blissful chaos of Monday morning, with the chatter of people exchanging their memories of the weekend, or lack of thereof and the sleepy complains of other people, who just couldn't be bothered to get up today.

Hanna was near my locker, talking to Jackson. As soon as I came up, she turned to me. "What actually happened when Parker left the party shirtless, behind you?" she asked, concern and amusement in her voice. I looked to Jackson for help, but he just shrugged, smiled and nodded for me to give him girlfriend an answer. She was probably bugging him about it all weekend.

"Nothing," I told her, putting my books into my locker, "He just came and turned off the tap for the water tank, like he usually does when my dad's not around."

Hanna eyed me, but she didn't say anything. "Fine," she sighed, "But next time, you're calling me and telling me everything, right after it happens, OK?"

"OK," I nodded to her, smiling, as she walked away, giving me the signal that her eyes were on me. I made a mental note to actually tell her, since I'd been putting off boring her with bits and pieces of my hardly exciting life. I turned to see Eric, staring at me from across the hall, the smuggest grin I've ever seen him where plastered on his face, eye-humping me like the world would end this very moment. I rolled my eyes, disgusted by him, wondering what it took to change a guy like that.

"Hey, Blue Eyes," Blake said, coming up to me, smiling looking way too bright for a Monday morning.

I eyed him suspiciously, a smile on my face. "What's got you so happy?" I asked him.

"What's not to be happy about?" he countered, "Sun's shining, the bird's chirping and you're here."

I blushed and ducked my head, hoping he didn't see the colour of my cheeks change almost instantaneously. "Hey, I've got to run and meet coach," he told me, like he hadn't just flirted with me, "I'll catch you in class, OK?"

"OK," I nodded.

"Great. Bye, Alex," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder, making shocks run through it.

That's new.

I took my books out and started walking to class, when Dylan's voice caught me. "Hey, Alex," he called from across the hall, "That was great."

He ducked his head down to meet Bryce's and both of them laughed. I was confused and Eric was nowhere in sight to actually do the explaining to me in his crass manner. I shook my head and walked off to class, leaving the two cackling hyenas behind me. I went to class and sat down, suddenly wishing that today would be over soon just because of two of the most childish people in the Senior class.

Morning announcements took up the most time of homeroom, and everyone basically ignored Principal Wilkins unless he had something exciting to say, which was almost never. Today, however, there was a jump in his voice, which meant that either he was going to drop a bomb on us, or there was something that was going to happen.

"And finally, I'd like to remind the Senior class that they are required to do some fundraising for the senior class trip and what not," he drawled to us, an unusual kick in his tone, "And this weekend, we will be hosting a car wash and we hope to see all the seniors there for some fun in the sun."