Chapter 21.

I wandered back into the room where all the bridesmaids were, trying to muster up my best fake smile. Right before I walked into the room, I tried Parker's number again.

Nothing.

It rang and then went to voicemail. "It's Parker. Leave a message," said his easy tone, but it did nothing to soothe my nerves. He couldn't be letting Bianca and Bryce down. Even he wasn't that low.

I shook off the feeling and walked in, just as everyone was sitting down to get started. Bianca looked at me and beamed. "Just on time, Alex," she said, "Get into the bathrobe and then go on and sit over there by the window. You don't mind the window, do you?"

I shook my head and changed into the pink satin bathrobe that was labeled for each bridesmaid, hoping to God that Parker had shown up or would soon.

I sat in my makeup chair and let the girl pull my dampened hair into rollers as I watched the workmen below setting up chairs on the lawn for the ceremony through the sheer white curtain that was drawn.

Everyone chattered and I tried to add to the conversation, understanding that I wasn't really missed when I didn't. Finger sandwiches were passed around for our lunch and the sky changed colour. There was no sign of Parker and no sign of there being no Parker.

When everyone was focusing on Bianca, I sent Blake a text asking whether Parker had come.

Not yet, Alex. He better get here soon.

I sighed and tried his number again and yet again, I was directed to his voicemail. I started to worry, but convinced myself there was nothing to worry about.

The ceremony would take place at sunset. The most beautiful time of day. I was looking forward to the wedding. Everything Bianca had planned, I knew, was beautiful. Adrienne flitted in and out of the room, exclaiming how wonderful everyone looked.

I followed her out of the room once, rollers and all.

"Adrienne?" I asked.

She turned. "Yes, Alexandra?"

I flinched. "Is Parker here?" I asked.

She frowned. "Does Bianca know?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Only I know."

"He's not here, yet, sweetie," she smiled, "But don't worry. Your escort will be here in due time. Adrienne will see to it. Now get back in there and don't worry about a thing."

Even as she turned to leave, I could tell she was going to call Parker, herself then. I went back into the room to pose for the pictures and be seen in the videos.

The process finished up pretty soon, I thought, but hours had passed. With the others, I left the room, grabbing my bouquet, so that Bianca could have a moment with her parents. In the hall, I looked at myself in the mirror. The dress was still the gorgeous midnight blue I remembered it to be. There were similar colored flowers on the flower crown we were wearing. They had been dyed to match. There were soft tendrils on hair falling around my face, framing it. I felt I had never looked better. Hopefully, Parker would come so that I didn't have to walk down the isle alone.

All of Bianca's and Bryce's friends were chatting to each other. Blake was missing in the crowd. As was Parker. Blake came in a few minutes later, a look of worry still hanging on his face. When he saw me, he stopped and smiled and then slowly crept up to me and placed a whisper of a kiss on my cheek.

"You look absolutely breathtaking," he said.

"Thanks," I smiled back. "Parker?"

He shook his head. "I'm going to kill him."