Chapter 22.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and exited the room into the quiet house. Laughter and chatter still floated up from the marquee outside, but pretty much everyone had left. Despite the day's events, I had a flutter of happiness run through me. The wedding had been beautiful and Blake had introduced me to most of his family. I smiled in retrospect and then stopped short.

Parker was coming on to the landing, just as I was trying to descend. He looked a little annoyed and sheepish.

"Hey," he said, softly.

"Hey."

"Look, I know I was being a jerk tonight," he said, like it almost hurt him to say it.

I stared back at him. "OK," I replied, unsure of where this was going.

"If it makes you feel any better, I apologized to Bryce."

I cocked my head at him. "You should be trying to make Blake feel better. Not me," I replied, shortly.

"I did," Parker answered, "He's OK about it now."

I nodded and looked away from him. "Well I'm going to say goodnight to everyone," I said, after a pause and headed downstairs. I made my way back to the marquee, still a little thrown by Parker.

Blake's grandmother was leaving as I entered. She smiled up at me and held an arm out. "You still look like a movie star, Alexandra, dear," she said, affectionately.

I bid her a goodnight and told her to go home safely and then went in and said my goodbyes to everyone. Blake kissed me politely on my cheek, knowing that everyone else in the room was watching and made me promise to text when I got home.

I walked out into the night's breeze and to the front of the house where I had parked my car, under the watchful eye of the serene moon. There were only two things I saw in the driveway. My car and Parker. He was making his way up the drive, probably to the gate. He stopped and looked at me.

I switched the weight of bag from one shoulder to the other. "Where's your car?" I asked. He stared at me for some time, just standing in the soft breeze, contemplating what to say. "At home," he finally said, reluctantly.

I shifted my weight between my two feet. "Let me give you a ride," I offered.

He started to shake his head. Parker, if not anything else, was immensely proud. A hamartia that both he and I claimed ownership to.

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, Parker. You live next door. Let me give you a ride."

He lifted his chin and flexed the muscle in his jaw. He clenched and unclenched his fist and then finally nodded. "Yeah, thanks."

I nodded back at home and started to move towards the driver's car door. Parker's voice stopped me.

"Don't I get to drive?" He asked.

I turned to him and raised an eyebrow. "Hell no," I replied, "But if you shut up, maybe I'll let you ride shotgun."

He dropped his head as a ghost of a smile appeared on his face and came towards the car. I put my bag in the back and he did the same. I slid into my seat and buckled up, Parker mirroring my every move. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him admiring the car and its interiors. He didn't say anything.

I pulled on to the road and started on the path home. The only movement of mine, other than the motions of driving, was to turn on the radio, which immediately started tinkling out an Ed Sheeran song. I didn't know how Parker's music taste had evolved, but anyone who didn't like Ed Sheeran needed some talking to and Parker, clearly wasn't one of them.