Chapter 10

Y/N POV

I rushed away from the bed, slightly embarrassed that I was almost caught by Nanny McPhee, but I don't understand. We are best friends, right? Why would I be so embarrassed to be seen in the same bed as Simon?

That's when I felt that bubbly feeling in my chest when my heart feels like it's going a hundred miles an hour, I feel so giddy I might have a giggling fit, my brain is either racing or lost, trying to find an answer. I've never felt this way with anyone. It's new, but not bad, just uncontrollable. The strangest part is that I only feel it around Simon. 

I hadn't even noticed Nanny McPhee had taken out a bottle and beelined to Simon, coaxing him to take whatever that stuff was.

"I am not taking that- that stuff. It's weird and gooey and no one knows where that's been or what's in it," said Simon stubbornly, puffing out his cheeks in annoyance. 

"You need to take it to get better. I'm sure Y/N would agree, wouldn't you?" Nanny replied calmly, turning to me.

"Uhh- um- Nanny says it's going to help you, Simon. I'm sure Nanny wouldn't try to hurt you, and it's probably for your good," I said, not sure where I was going with my words, only half caught up in the situation. Simon glared at the ground, mumbling something incoherently, "Come on, Simon, please? I only want to see you get better."

It must've been the way I said it or the way I looked, because the second he heard me say it, his eyes softened and the muttering stopped. He sighed, looking defeated. 

"Fine, I'll take your stupid medicine. It better not be poisoned," said Simon bitterly. Begrudgingly, he opened his mouth slowly. He kept an eye on the medicine which bubbled infrequently, but still enough for Simon to show a nervous glint in his eyes.

Nanny McPhee then put the spoon in his mouth and he looked as if he was about to throw up. He swallowed it down and took huge breaths, in and out, repetitively. He looks over at me, still trying to rid the taste from his mouth, but I notice something. He looks to be regaining his colour, no longer as pale as he was when I told him about the swing. I smile at him, knowing that changing his mind was the right thing to do, to help him. He smiles back, a faint tint of red on his cheeks, but it's still a smile that makes my heart flutter. I could feel my face heating up.

Simon's POV

After taking that medicine, I felt like my gag reflex was stronger than my will to stomach it. I wanted to get better, being in bed all day, not being able to move, AND ACTUALLY BEING SICK. It was a big let down. No one looked at Nanny McPhee, so there goes my theory. 

I was not going to take that loathsome medicine. It looked absolutely horrible, no way in the world I was going to take that. But then I saw Y/N, and she supported Nanny. Knowing her, she was probably so scared to talk to her, ever since she confessed to me her fear of her wooden walking stick. The beatings she must have suffered from her stepmom must've been really bad if she was so afraid of the stick.

Then she said something that made my heart skip a beat, even though I've heard her say it before, Come on, Simon, please? I only want to see you get better

I never say please, but when she said that word, it resonated with me, made me second guess what I was thinking. It's so strange, how I'm feeling so weird. I don't understand, but maybe Father can help if he can spare a minute.

I look over to Y/N, attempting to glare at her for making me take that medicine, but her smile. Y/N can turn my whole day around with that small gesture. I can't stop myself smiling back, a little embarrassed that I was mad at her a second ago. 

I feel better, come to think of it. I don't feel like I've got a fever and I'm not sweating as much. Maybe the medicine wasn't poisoned.

Nanny spoon feeds my siblings the medicine and they look like they're being choked one by one, by the horrid substance, but then they look better. Some of Aggie's spots disappear immediately.

Nanny tells Cook to come in, but I'm too busy thinking about the magic medicine, my messed feelings for Y/N and how much I seem to feel better, to notice that Cook has dished out soup for everyone. She gives Y/N some bread to mop up the rest of the soup, telling her not to share with us because we are under 'house arrest'. Y/N smiles and nods, but I know I can talk her into giving me some bread anyway. When the adults leave the room, Y/N places her soup on the windowsill. 

"Does anyone need any help, can I do anything for you before I start eating?"

I think about being a little cheeky and ask her to feed me, but I remember my siblings are awake now, and they will probably make fun of us. 

"Can I have some bread, N/N?" asked Sebastian, innocently. 

"Of course, Sebbie, can't let a growing boy go hungry now, can we?" Y/N replies cheerfully. She tears off a bit of her bread and hands it to Sebastian.

"Can I have bread too?"

"And me."

"And me, please."

"Me too."

Soon, Y/N has a tiny piece of the small loaf she was given from Cook, the rest she handed out amongst us. She picks up Aggie's bowl of soup, looking satisfied with her work, and starts spooning the contents into her mouth. Y/N makes noises to make Aggie open her mouth and eat the soup. 

"What about me, Y/N? Do I get bread?" I ask. Y/N has given everyone bread except me. I don't know if it's a joke, or if she genuinely forgot, but I doubt that. 

"Of course, Your Majesty. Can't forget the highest of them all, can we?" Y/N responded playfully.

She places Aggie's soup aside and walks over to the bedside. She hands the rest of her bread to me, leaving me shocked. 

"But Y/N, this is the last of your bread, don't just give the rest to me. What about you?"

Y/N sits down calmly and smiles, "I'd rather give everything I have to you guys if I should ever have anything at all. Besides, you matter so much more to me than a small piece of bread. Now eat up, or you'll go hungry and we can't have that."

With that, the conversation ended and me, my brothers and sisters all got to eat our soup with a little forbidden bread, Aggie giggling as she was spoonfed by Y/N, later sucking on her bread.