Chapter 18

Do you guys want a face reveal? In this chapter, I wanted to change some things up a bit from the movie. I'm honestly very excited to end the book, I hope you guys are too! This is the second last chapter, promise. Anyway, enjoy :)

Simon's POV

When we heard the noise of Mrs Quickly's heels, everyone rushed back to their spot in line. Poor y/n stood in place, confused as to what was going on. It was only when they reacted to each other, did I realise that this woman meant bad news for y/n.

"You... Marley has been looking for you, brat," snarled Mrs Quickly, leaning in to look her dead in her face. y/n flinched at the sound of her voice and her sudden approach, "Well, I've got you now, and you can't escape until she gets here anyway, so get in line."

y/n rushed to stand by my side and I tensed, feeling the strong urge to go off at my mother to be. As Mrs Quickly inspected us for imperfections, Aggie waves her rattle in the air happily, oblivious to our current situation. 

"Oh, enough of that racket. I don't want some irritating noise ruining my special day." Mrs Quickly snatched the rattle from her hands and held it between her fingers.

"You can't do that!"

"That rattle was from mother!" shouted Lily, annoyed at Mrs Quickly's snooty behaviour.

"Well, I'm your mother now, and you'll listen to me."

Mrs Quickly's eyes give away that sick joy she is deriving from our frustration and I see y/n glare at her. I lunge at Mrs Quickly, intent on snatching back Aggie's rattle, but she pulls away, making the rattle out of reach.

"Uh, uh, uh," she tuts, "Don't be a naughty boy for your new mother, or else I'll have to do this."

She puts both ends of the rattle between her fingers and her intentions become clear instantly. 

"No, don't!" y/n exclaims, reaching to save the rattle from its inevitable end. However, she's too late, and the blunt sound of the weak plastic snapping is heard by everyone in the room. The sound of silence is deafening as Mrs Quickly's actions sink in. 

"You monster! How could you-" Y/N exclaims, but is cut off when Mrs Quickly strikes her face. Y/N falls back, hands cupping her cheek where she had been hit, tears brimming in her e/c eyes. I clench my fists in fury, trying to hold back the impulse of jumping out of line and start tearing her hair out.

"How dare you talk to me in such a manner. I expect you to show me more respect, at least until I inform Marley about you, you horrid, ungrateful child."

Y/N hangs her head and nods, slowly taking my hand. We are all powerless against this woman. 

"Stop talking to her like that! That's not nice to say to Y/N," said Sebastian. Mrs Quickly seethes at him, about to lecture us, until we hear the sound of someone running toward us.

"Selma, Selma! She's here! Lady Adelaide Stitch is really here!" a woman rushes in, her face flushed and her hands waving frantically. She's wearing an olive green frock highlighted with white lace. Her hat is slightly askew on her head, revealing greying hair pulled back tightly into a low bun. Her dark eyes stand out the most, however, against her pale complexion. They looked scrutinizing, observing, calculating, but most of all, commanding and powerful. 

As she enters the room, I see Y/N try to shrink away, hiding from the woman who's only paying attention to Selma. I notice her reaction, her uneasiness and her urge to hide. I stand in front of her, shielding her from Mrs Quickly's friend.

Mrs Quickly's friend ignores us as she excitedly informs Mrs Quickly of Aunt Adelaide's arrival. She must of just arrived herself because Aunt Adelaide has been here for a while, with Father. Both ladies spare us one last glance between their chatter and start back outside to meet Aunt Adelaide. 

"Are you okay?" I ask Y/N. She raises her head slightly and I see the silent tears running down her cheeks, her left cheek developing a red mark. The eye contact lasts for a split second before I pull her into a hug. She buries her face into my shoulder and I feel that spot slightly dampen with her tears. I listen to her hiccup softly and catch her breath. 

My heart couldn't bear seeing her like this, so scared and upset as a result of such a woman. My hatred for her grew at the thought. I pull away slightly and wipe her tears away from her face delicately. I could feel my siblings' eyes on us and I suddenly don't know what to do. I just keep my eyes on Y/N. Y/N nods her head slightly, keeping her eyes trained on the ground.

The sound of steady footsteps is heard again, approaching us with a strong stride, "Come along, children, we don't want to keep the pastor and Mrs Quickly waiting."

It was Father, wearing a crisp white suit, his dark hair tamed with some special product. He sees us all circled around me and Y/N and he slows to a stop next to us. He looks confused until he notices Y/N's state. He sighs in sympathy, most likely tired from excessive work, limited sleep and looking after us. 

"Come on, children, Y/N, the wedding will begin soon. We simply can't be late."

He ushers us all out, taking Sebastian and Chrissy's hands in his. Y/N and I walk behind everyone else in silence, still holding hands. When we are the last one's inside, we stop at the doorway. I looked at Y/N, who looked more composed after the incident, looking straight ahead. I tightened my grip on her hand and she squeezed mine back. 

The sunlight hit her perfectly through the window and I can't help but stare at her for a few seconds, admiring her beautiful features. A small smile dances on her lips and I look straight ahead as we walk outside, hand in hand. This will probably be the last time I will spend time with her before the wedding is over and she goes back to Stitch Manor.