Chapter Nineteen: Trouble on the Horizon

"Can you...Can you let me forget what happened on Miyagata? Please?" Yuna almost felt scared to say the words.
Udo instantly felt a chill wrap around him, and his eyes widened.
"Make me forget so I can finally move on; so we can get married, and have babies...Can you please take away all of the bad memories? Let me finally just... heal?"
The joy in Udo's heart gave way to horror, and he felt an electric shock course through him as Yuna's first tears hit the couch cushions.
"Yuna..."
The iciness around him tightened.
Yuna's head lulled to the side. "The same way you used your magic all those years ago; I'm giving you permission, Udo. Please just take away my memories of that night on Miyagata." Another tear fell from her eye and pooled onto the couch cushion.
Udo snapped from his daze, and he shot up from his spot of hovering over the girl on the soft lounge.
"NO!"
It came out much louder than Udo had intended, but he simply couldn't help it. The couple stared at each other wide-eyed with mixed emotions, Yuna sitting up on the cushions and Udo shakily on his feet.
"U-Udo..."
The confliction and pain in Yuna's sharp and dark eyes hurt Udo deeply, and the Fey had to steady himself with a few grounding breaths.
"Yuna..." His fists clenched. "I...I...gods, how could you even ask me to do that?" Udo felt like he had to sit right back down; the room spinning around him.
Yuna, who had pushed herself up on her elbows, was unable to meet Udo's gaze.
"..."
Her expression showed how wrong she knew the request was, how much she truly didn't want it, and Udo was left grasping at straws over what to say, or what to do.
Udo felt a mixture of horror, concern, anger and worry; Yuna felt a combination of shame, confliction, and exhaustion.
The fire practically raging behind him in the fireplace and casting his tall shadow over the space, Udo slowly spoke.
"...That's the basis you'd want us to start a family on? By having me, the person who's supposed to be your life partner and help you through whatever life throws at you...take away the memories of your own family?" Udo's brows scrunched, and he shook his head as he fought to understand.
Yuna still kept her gaze trained away from him, her voice quiet.
"It wouldn't be the memories of them...it would only be what happened to them." She whispered.
Something flared in Udo;
"It would be disgracing their memory, Yuna. Your family doesn't deserve to have their daughter, their sister forget what they died for." His voice was stern, and Yuna's silent tears fell more.
"What about if what happened this time around repeats itself? If you start getting your memory back, years from now? When we're married with children and you grow to resent me because I let you forget? That I lied over where your family is? I won't let that happen, Yuna. I won't compromise any aspects of our relationship, no matter that I've sworn to give you everything you wanted... I won't do it."
Udo couldn't differentiate if the anger he felt was towards Yuna or to the situation; maybe a mixture of both.
Yuna's voice was broken and pitched from her refusal to openly cry from her frustration.
"I...I'm just tired Udo. Those memories...they just won't go away, I can't get them out of my head and I just want to move on with my life with you!" Yuna's voice rose, but it wasn't quite a shout. "Just please understand where I'm coming from, Udo...I can't stand remembering that...that my family is gone."
Udo's muscles tensed;
"My family is gone too, Yuna! I'm the only person who could understand how you feel!" He exclaimed exasperatedly. "That doesn't mean you can just take the easy way out and forget! You need to learn to live with it...it's a part of you that will always be there. Whether you remember it or not. We're supposed to help each other shoulder those burdens..."
A certain pair of snowy Tundra Faes, whom Udo only had a few faint memories of, flashed in his mind.
Udo took a shaky breath in, and turned away from the girl. He needed a moment to compose himself.
Yuna slowly sat up fully on the lounge, Udo's voice still lingering in the air. No sniffles or cries came from her; only tears that were a mix of overwhelming emotions she couldn't even identify.
Yuna watched Udo's back, his breath dreading and her hand wiping at her cheeks.
She knew Udo wouldn't like the idea... but she didn't quite expect a response like this.
'I'm a horrible person...Udo's right, what was I thinking asking him that? What the hell am I even planning on doing?'
Yuna's eyes scrunched shut and her face crinkled as more silent tears bubbled past her lashes.
'I'm sorry mom, dad...Leo, Mina...I just don't know what to do...'
Her eyes reopened just in time to see Udo composing himself. He kept his back to her, and Yuna curled in on herself as his steady but firm voice broke out once more.
"...Do you know how painful, and horrible it was to take away your memory of us, all those years ago? How guilty I felt, how much I hated myself for years after knowing what I did to you? It was the worst time of my entire life, Yuna; the worst thing I ever felt."
Udo's voice almost shook, and Yuna could only close her eyes as she sought to imagine.
She remembered the heart broken expression she'd seen etched on his face when Ini performed the divine divination on her; how utterly broken Udo looked when they had to part ways five years ago.
How could Yuna ever ask him to do that again?
She didn't speak as Udo continued.
"I know what it feels like to be forgotten by someone you love. I'll never impose that on anyone; alive or dead. I'm sorry, Yuna... but I won't do it."
His shoulders sank in a form of deflated exhaustion, which was reflected in Udo's voice.
"Please don't ask me to go through that again. Ever."
Udo left the girl speechless, and Yuna could only blink through her tears slowly.
"U-Udo, I..."
'I'm sorry.'
The words didn't make it to her lips before a knock sounded through the cottage.
Udo quickly spun around, glancing to Yuna then to the door as the knocking continued, this time more frantic.
They briefly held eye contact, eyes swimming with defeat as Udo strode towards the front of the cottage with heavy steps. Yuna watched as he took a moment to steady himself, releasing a breath as he swung the front door wide open.
She could barely make out a second pair of horns and wings joining her vision, hastily wiping and patting her red and flushed face as she heard Udo speak.
"Borra?" Udo sounded genuinely surprised, and confused. "What are you doing here?"
"No time to explain." The Fey pushed past Udo and towards where Yuna sat in a heap on the couch.
Yuna's eyes widened. "B-Borra." The male took hold of her arm with a strong grip, lugging the girl up to her feet.
"We need to go; now."
Borra chose to ignore the obviously distressed expressions on both of his friend's faces, making a mental note to check in on them about it later.
For now, a more pressing and urgent issue was rearing it's head.
Yuna rose to her feet with a wobble, glancing at the two feys in question.
"Go where? Borra, it's late." The girl questioned rather incredulously.
Udo seemed to immediately pick up on something being wrong and out of place. "What happened, Borra?" As his fellow leader of the Dark Feys, Udo couldn't help but immediately assume something terrible had happened amongst their kin and his brows furrowed.
"I don't even know all the details myself. The Dark Feys are fine." Sensing Udo's concern, Borra was quick to dispel it. "But... I don't know how serious the current predicament is. Percival came to alert us that our presence was needed at Castle Ulstead, now."
Yuna and Udo both stiffened with alarm.
'If Philip is summoning all of us...' Yuna gulped thickly. '...This has to be only a few steps down from a national emergency.'
"Shrike already went ahead with Percival; Ini is waiting outside." Borra cocked his head towards the door. "Come on. We don't have time to spare."
Udo was quick to snuff out the warming fire in the brick fireplace, while Yuna shrugged out of Borra's hold to readjust her cloak.
Her heart racing, Yuna nodded. "Alright, lets hurry."
The three made their way out of the now dark and rather cold cottage; Borra inserting himself between the couple as they didn't even dare to look at one another.
Sure enough, Ini stood within the grass just outside the home. Her wings were flared, ready for takeoff and a rather serious expression set on her features.
"Ini-" Yuna started, seeking to understand just what on earth was going on.
Hours ago, they were without a care in the world and hanging around town; now they were being summoned to the palace in what could only be an emergency.
"I don't know what's going on either." Ini was quick to answer. "We must hurry. The others are waiting."
Already hovering off of the grassy forest floor, Ini's wings kicked up gusts of wind. Borra's wings soon joined the fray as the two took to the night sky together, and Yuna felt a hand wrap around her waist.
"Come on."
She glanced up to see Udo's eyes not trained to her but up to the stars and his voice not exactly cold, but not warm either.
Udo's touch, however, was as soft as it always was.
A common and practiced routine by now, Yuna brought her arms up to wrap around Udo's neck; the Fey scooping her up like it was nothing. He waited a moment, making sure Yuna was secured and had a tight enough grip on him before he also took off high into the twilight.
They didn't share many words, and Yuna still felt lingering tension and the desire to apologize.
Knowing that that couldn't be their main focus at the moment, Yuna only wordlessly pressed her lips to Udo's collarbone.
The three feys and human were quiet in their flight to the castle; an uneasy air beginning to settle around them.
They were greeted by Percival almost immediately as they touched down, Shrike standing at his side and Maleficent and Diaval not too far behind them.
The usually composed guard was unnervingly tense, his eyes landing to Yuna as soon as Udo placed her to her feet.
"Thank you for retrieving them, Borra." Percival nodded his thanks to the fey.
"It's not like I had a choice." The words, while sounding harsh, held no real venom within them. One look at Borra to those who befriended him, and it was easy to notice the uneasy and almost anxious aura circling about him.
Maleficent strode before the group, Diaval's demeanor unusually quiet as he hung in her shadow.
"Maleficent..." Udo began, the female fey's brows tightly knit.
"I'm afraid I know as much as all of you." Her and Percival shared a quick look. "It is in Philip and Aurora's place to divulge. Let's go."
Yuna and Diaval share a brief nod of acknowledgement, the party set out into the looming open doors of Castle Ulstead; Yuna's heartbeat picking up ever so slightly as her heels clicked down the grand halls.
She'd never heard the castle...so deathly quiet before.
Yuna was beginning to feel unnerved as they all strode in silence; since when was their group, ever rowdy and quick to jest and holler, ever this silent? It was foreboding, and Yuna's fingers twitched as she sought to grip onto Udo.
She faltered;
'Udo...he's probably still upset.'
Yuna let her fingers relax, resting at her side tentatively as she felt a flare of sadness burst in her.
She stole a look to her fey's features, seeing the worry and tense anxiety that Udo fought to keep quelled.
Yuna's heart lurched, and she felt her fingers yearn to hold her fey's once more.
'It's okay, Udo. Everything will be fine.'
Although...Yuna didn't know if she could truly say such a thing.
She had to know what was going on; how it involved her, her beloved and all of their friends...and just how much trouble Ulstead was truly in.
These concerns swarmed around Yuna as the throne room doors came into view, the guards stationed at the front immediately flinging them open upon seeing Percival leading in the guests of honor. They bowed to him, keeping their heads down as the group entered the moon and torch lit throne room with a sense of urgency.
It seemed they weren't the only ones.
Philip and Aurora, still obviously roused from sleep but burning with a fury that could only be possessed by monarchs, stood at the head of the throne room. People who Yuna could only assume must've been within Philip and Yuna's audience and close correspondents bustled in and out of the room hurriedly, Philip barking out orders and Aurora stacking what appeared to be documents upon documents into the frantic crowds.
"Send these to our alliances to the west! I want a full report on what exactly is going on, and I want it now!" Aurora called to the retreating figures, papers flying from their hold as they scurried out at her command.
"Yes, Queen Aurora!"
Yuna's eyes were wide as she took in the frantic and traffic-filled bustling.
'What on earth is going on?'
"Majesty, Percival and Maleficent have arrived with the others!" One of the guards bellowed.
"Everyone, out! This is a private audience with the King and Queen, punishment will be dealt to anyone who dares to intervene!"
The command was almost instantly met with a flurry of advisors rushing out of the room, the friends just barely side stepping to avoid being trampled by the paper carrying, stressed-out looking court members.
'All of the papers they carried held royal seals...Only the most crucial relay messages and transcripts hold such a thing. Even I've only handled one or two.'
Yuna's eyes unsurely fluttered to where Philip and Aurora stood at the head of the room, their weariness and frustration making them appear far from their usual happy selves. Their anger, while not pinpointed at the group, made them appear as quite the merciless King and Queen.
Aurora's eyes met Yuna's, and that fire in her eyes almost immediately dissipated.
She gently tapped Philip's shoulder, the King casting a weary but small smile out to the group.
"Thank you all for coming on such short notice. I apologize for how late it is."
Percival took a knee, while the others held a small bow with their heads.
Maleficent was the first to speak; "I believe it would be wise to just get straight to the point, Philip." Her gaze momentarily cast unsurely to Yuna, something Udo immediately noticed.
"Let's discuss this then get to bed. We'll all need time to think about the situation."
The words made Shrike furrow her brow.
"What kind of situation regarding the crown involves all of us?" The female fey looked to Percival. "Do you know what's going on, Percival?"
The guard slowly nodded his head, but didn't speak the words, unable to look anywhere but to Philip.
Philip took in a breath, and slowly descended from the throne's elevated platform with Aurora to come face to face with the friends in the dimly lit castle room.
Aurora was silent at her husband's side, and Yuna's eyes scanned the room's occupants.
'Percival and Maleficent obviously already know what's going on, since they directly work with Philip and Aurora on all executive decisions. Diaval has also been oddly quiet...'
Udo was tense and stiff at her side, and Yuna noticed her own posture straighten and ears perk as Philip opened his mouth.
"I...I'm afraid I'm trying to find an efficient way to word this." Philip sighed, rubbing at his temple.
The attendees waited patiently for the king to find the right words.
"...As I'm sure you all know, Ulstead is one of the most modern and progressive civilizations of this time. Besides my mother's...outdated ideals, my father led Ulstead for a majority of his life into a world of great opportunity." Philip's words came out pronounced and proudly, his kingly demeanor shining as brightly as his fathers.
Ini hummed, "I will say, the people of this town are much more pleasant than most humans." She muttered to herself.
"We weren't able to get to where we are now alone. We have alliances with other countries, treaties with other nations, and stand-stills with civilizations. No promised nation gets to where it is by its own luck or talent; we need alliances to secure our growth. Equivalent exchange; you give what you get, and so on."
While speaking, Philip strode to where a large map of the continents and seas was pinned to the wall; weathered and old but still abundant in its knowledge.
"You mean that you essentially used the buddy system to work your way to the top?" Diaval clarified, watching as Philip traced the map with his fingers.
"Something like that." The king whispered.
"Part of some of these exchanges include guaranteed protection. We usually establish them with societies with a weaker navy and army. Those who are abundant with agriculture and natural resources, or trade routes. In exchange for them supplying us with resources and trade, Ulstead offers them protection in times of danger or war."
Yuna felt a cold sweat begin as Philip's finger fell to an island that...well, saying it was familiar would be an understatement.
"One of these countries we are under alliance with is Miyagata."
Yuna stilled, and all eyes slowly trained to her.
Udo glanced from Yuna to the map, then to Philip with an almost scowl.
"You're saying that you promised protection to Miyagata, yet when the pirates came and ravaged everything you were nowhere in sight?"
Udo didn't want to sound angry, but he couldn't help it as he saw Yuna visibly pale.
"No no, please don't misunderstand Udo." Aurora quickly spoke up. "It was because of those attacks that Philip's father reached out to Miyagata to form an alliance. If Ulstead knew anything about what would've happened that night, they would've been the first ones on the scene."
Aurora looked to Yuna, like she was pleading for her to believe her. Wordlessly, Yuna nodded her understanding before addressing Philip.
"Why are you bringing this up, Philip?" She questioned quietly.
Philip's lips formed a tight line, and his tone took on a soft approach.
"Yuna..."
His eyes looked to Aurora, silently begging his wife to take over for him. If anyone could break it to Yuna, it would be one of her best friends.
Aurora caught on to it immediately,
"As well as our land alliances, we have alliances in the seas as well."
Aurora looked to make sure everyone was still listening, and she continued when she saw they were indeed giving her their undivided attention.
"There aren't just pirates that tread the seas. There are mercenaries, groups devoted to the abolishment of evil on the seas and follow Ulstead's ideals of a just and equal world..." The queen's eyes remained steady.
"One of these groups we've established connections with are the "Corsairs of the Nether". They patrol the eastern seas, they go on missions and take care of threats that Ulstead's government has deemed imminent; they're essentially our on-call mercenaries." Aurora released a breath.
"We usually only communicate through a handful of letters a year. They're rather mysterious; they sent us an appeal to establish an entente not long after the massacre on Miyagata, following after the country in an alliance formation."
Yuna listened intently, trying to process the handful of information that she suddenly had to process. "So...these Corsairs of the Nether...they're from Miyagata? They're essentially like your guard dogs?" She questioned slowly.
Percival, who had worked his way to stand by the monarchs with Maleficent, nodded in affirmation. "Correct. Miyagata had offered them to our beck and call in exchange for protection; they not only guard Miyagata but also extend across all the seven seas. Any wayfarer knows the name, in the five years they've been established they have created a rather deadly name for themselves."
Yuna's mind raced.
'Mercenaries patrolling the seas around Miyagata? Why have I never heard of that?' Aurora's description of the group rang in her conscious.
'Mysterious may be an understatement.'
"How are mercenaries any different from pirates? How do you know we can trust these Corsairs of the Nether if you've never even personally meant them?" Shrike asked as she crossed her arms, eyes glaring at the map. "I'm assuming that the reason you've called us here has something to do with this group, yeah? How on earth do you expect us to place our trust in them?"
"I know it's an unnerving sentiment, Shrike." Maleficent spoke gently. "But this group has helped Ulstead with more behind the scenes dilemmas than you know. The line between pirates and mercenaries may be blurred, but they are an ally. I can personally swear that to you."
Shrike still seemed unsure, and Ini's soft voice was firm and loud;
"Enough tip toeing. Just tell us why we are here."
Philip took her command to heart;
"Corsairs of the Nether have reached out to us. There has been a disturbance in the eastern seas; they are requesting our immediate help." The king pronounced.
Borra cocked a brow, "You need all of us to go with you to attend a meeting? Just how serious is all of this, Philip?" He inquired curiously.
Wordlessly, Philip beckoned Percival over. Knowing what his king already wanted, Percival retrieved a rolled up parchment from his cloak.
"This." Philip spoke, unrolling the paper to show it to the room's occupants. "This is how serious. Corsairs of the Nether have never reached out to us; ever. If they are writing to us to ask for help, then it's something crucial. I know it may be a childish reason, but you must understand; the seas are far too wide for them to keep in check on their own. If something has broken out, then it'll be bad; I fear they may be writing to us out of desperation."
Philip furrowed his brows; "We are under an alliance; this cannot be ignored. I am not a king who turns his back on those in need, especially those who are our ally." He set the letter back in Percival's hands.
"All of you here are Aurora and mine's closest, most trusted friends and allies. I fear something may be threatening the scales of peace that we fought so desperately to even out... I need people at our sides who I know are dependable. I know that I may be asking a lot...but I need you all to follow me. As your king, and as your friend."
Philip deeply bowed his head.
"Please."
The room went quiet at the king's admission.
Aurora also bowed her head in a quiet plea, and Maleficent and Percival looked to them silently.
Yuna blinked, deep in thought as she took in Philip's form.
Her heart rate slowed down substantially, and she felt relief begin to ice over her nerves.
'That's...that's the reason Philip called us here?' She almost sighed, 'I was so worried...thank the gods. Though...I'm not too fond of this potential threat either. It may be nothing, but it also could be something bad. We just don't know enough yet...'
"Well of course I'll go. Wherever Maleficent and Aurora go, I'm sure to follow." Diaval spoke up softly with a smile. "You can count on me, Philip."
Shrike sighed. "I still don't like this whole situation, but...there's no way I'd let you two wander into danger alone. That's not the kind of fey I am."
She smiled softly.
Ini scoffed. "Well, anywhere you go disaster is sure to follow. I'll have to go too to make sure you don't start any fights." She teased.
"I won't be the odd man out; obviously I'll come too. What if this threat turns out to be a real thing? We'll need some muscle onboard." Borra grinned cheekily. "Guess I gotta go too."
Aurora's eyes lit up with joy at the responses, her gaze casting to where Udo and Yuna stood in a quiet thought.
"Yuna? Udo?" She prompted hopefully.
Yuna felt Udo's eyes train to her, the fey silent in his thoughts before responding.
"Whatever Yuna decides is what I'll do."
Yuna's heart clenched; perhaps her fey wasn't truly as mad at her as she thought.
She smiled up to Aurora. "I'll...I'll go too! It's my duty as a member of the crown." She nodded her head in affirmation. "Plus, knowing Diaval and Borra...we'll need a good healer around."
Udo chuckled from behind her, and Diaval and Borra made a disgruntled noise of protest.
Aurora sighed, "Oh, I'm so happy..."
Maleficent glanced to Philip, and the king nodded.
"I...I'm truly grateful. Thank you all, really." He took a breath. "However...there is another detail I must address. Yuna, this particular point may change your mind, and I want you to know that no one here would hold that against you."
Philip's words made Yuna furrow her brow.
"Okay...?" She answered unsurely.
'What? Do they think I can't handle being on a boat for a day or two?'
Aurora clasped her hands tightly in front of her gown, eyes flashing with worry as she directly addressed her friend.
"We are set to meet on Miyagata, Yuna." The queen eyed her unsurely.
"We need to leave for Miyagata at the sun's first rays."
Yuna felt all eyes slowly train to her.
She blinked once.
Then twice.
Then her mouth went dry, and she felt an icy anxiety grip at every single one of her nerves.
The room started to spin.
"We are set to meet on Miyagata."
"We need to leave for Miyagata."
"Yuna...?"
The girl felt the softest of touches on shoulder, just barely registering Udo's voice.
She stumbled,
"I-I'm fine..."
Yuna's body fell like a weight before she could even notice. Her head hit the marble floors hard, the yells and shouts of her friends echoing around her. Udo just barely caught the girl as she fainted, his voice being the last thing Yuna was aware of.
"YUNA!"
Everything slowly faded to black.
                                              *
She just went down to the market for a moment; all she wanted was to go see the fishing boats who'd just docked in the bay to buy some fresh fish for breakfast the following morning.
She left her mother and father in the house, as well as Leo and Mina. They'd just celebrated her birthday with dinner and sweet cake. Yuna was sixteen now, and as she ran down the grassy and tree covered hills of Miyagata with the sunset touching the greens so elegantly she couldn't help but feel so happy.
That was when she'd noticed the ship, far out into the distance from her elevated point above the cliffs.
Blood red sails and flags, a looming and ominous shadow amongst the waves.
Yuna had felt a flare of anxiety, but chose not to panic just yet. It could be a visiting merchant, or a ship from a distant land she couldn't recognize.
Her legs carried her from the cliffs to the town, a harsh breeze kicking up by the time she'd arrived at the shops.
Yuna heard a loud blaring cry, a scream, a crippling bang and then before she knew it, all hell had broken loose.
By the time that night was over, she'd only have a few trinkets to her forgotten family name.
Those cursed, dastardly dark eyes flashed before her again.
The smell of harsh smoke as she tried to navigate through her inflamed home; grabbing whatever she could and crying as she called out to her parents, and to Leo and Mina. The way her eyes burned, how her heart raced and ached and how the squishing of blood and broken buildings cracked under her boots as she ran like a bat out of hell to simply try and live.
Yuna would always regret leaving the house that day.
The eyes flashed again, and Yuna awoke with a start.
                                             *
A dark ceiling was the first thing to greet Yuna.
She knew the ceiling, with its painted florals and vibrant colors beneath the moonlight. She knew the balcony that basked in the night air, she knew the grand aureate bed frame she found herself tucked in;
How many more times was she going to find herself in this castle bedroom?
'Ah...'
A numb pulsing hit Yuna's head, the girl sucking in a breath as she brought her nimble fingers up to where her head pounded. The pads of her digits met a wet bandage, and she winced.
The memories of the night all came back to her.
'I have to go back to Miyagata tomorrow...' Her heart squeezed with anxiety, and her eyes widened.
'I have to go back tomorrow!"
Yuna blinked a stray tear down her cheek, jumping as she felt a long finger catch it.
Yuna turned her head to the side, eyes watering as she saw Udo's form sitting at her bedside, a sad smile on his face as he wiped away her hot tears.
"Udo..."
She felt some sense of relief as she saw the Fey, and her eyes watered more.
"Take me memories away, please?"
"Udo...I'm sorry...I'm so sorry!" Her eyes scrunched through her tears. "I'm sorry I asked you to do that!"
Yuna's tears fell as Udo leaned over, scooting into the bed with the girl and scooping her into his arms.
"Shhhh...I'm sorry too. I should've been more understanding."
Udo's fingers combed through her long locks, Yuna feeling the warmth of his magic engulf her as the pain in her head ceased. Udo peeled away the small bandage on her forehead, pressing a kiss to the healed skin delicately.
"Don't worry about that. Just focus on yourself right now, okay? I've got you." Udo kissed the skin again, and Yuna sighed.
It all just felt too overwhelming.
Yuna clung to her Fey desperately; she wasn't crying hard necessarily, but they were still tears of an unbearable emotion Yuna couldn't quite identify.
She nodded against the fey's chest, and Udo hugged her tighter.
"Udo...I-I..." She sighed shakily. "I don't know if I can do it..."
"I know." He whispered. "It's okay to not know. I won't let them force you to do anything you don't want to, Yuna." His lips pressed to her forehead.
Yuna gripped tightly to his robes, her mind racing.
Just hours before she was asking Udo to make her forget about Miyagata...now she was supposed to pack her bags and go there? Yuna couldn't wrap her head around it.
She also couldn't fathom the odd feeling in her chest...was it...happiness?
Yuna gulped through her tears, wiping away at them as she glued herself to Udo.
She couldn't help it; despite everything that'd happened...of course there was always a small part of Yuna that missed her home.
She was born there, she grew up there. Her family was there; she was beyond overjoyed in her childhood spent on the island.
Maybe things hadn't ended on the brightest of notes...but that doesn't mean they had to continue on it.
Still, Yuna couldn't quell the anxiety in her gut.
"What are thinking about?" Udo's soft voice told Yuna that the fey must have already caught on to the confliction in her heart; of course he would. Udo knew her better than anyone.
"I'm thinking we need to stop finding ourselves in this situation." Yuna smiled softly. "Me injured in this castle bed, you healing me. I don't think it's a very healthy habit."
Udo smiled against her hair.
"I agree. You've given me at least three heart attacks since we've reunited...I'd appreciate it if you could keep yourself out of trouble for more than a week."
Her tears dying down, Yuna's smile grew.
"How boring of a mate I'd be. You like me keeping you on your toes."
Udo sighed, knuckles rubbing up and down Yuna's spine. He dragged them up to her shoulder, lazily rubbing his fingertips down the arm she kept wrapped around him, and Yuna sighed at the relaxing ministrations.
"You're right. I do." He confessed quietly, and Yunams eyes softened.
"Gave everyone else a heart attack as well. Philip won't press you for an answer until they're set to leave tomorrow morning...that gives you tonight to contemplate it." Udo entwined their hands.
"Whatever you choose, I'll support you. Don't let anyone pressure you; if you don't want to do this Yuna, you don't have to. Court Herbalist or not-"
"I think I might want to."
Yuna cut him off softly, and Udo shut up immediately.
Yuna continued unsurely.
"Don't get me wrong. It...It makes me really nervous, Udo. I can't help it. I don't like the idea of these mercenaries; it's like Shrike said. How do we know that they're any different from pirates? I trust Philip and Aurora's judgement, but...I'm not sure about this one."
Her eyes shut, loving the warmth that Udo's hold brought her in the chilly November night.
"Still. I just feel like...I need this, you know? You're right. I was wrong to want to forget what happened on Miyagata. No amount of suppression will erase what happened, and I can come to terms with that now."
She felt Udo brush a gentle kiss to her brows.
"I think it is time I go back. I've been away from home for five years; I miss it. I don't want my last memory of Miyagata to be one drenched in blood. I want to share my home with all of our friends...and you, Udo. I know you've always wanted to visit, and I want that too. I want you to see this part of me."
She sighed as Udo pressed another kiss to her temple, and she felt him smile against her face.
"I'd...I'd love that. I've always wanted to see where you grew up." He whispered.
"But I still don't want you to end up hurt. I think some sleep will help you finalize your decision; don't rush anything, Yuna. We've both had a very long night." His hand dipped to hold her waist. "I'll stay with you no matter what. You don't need to worry if I'm by your side."
Her tears forgotten, Yuna nuzzled at the fey's collarbone. "I know." She softly confirmed.
"I don't know what I did to deserve you, Udo..." Her lips traced the skin. "Thank you."
Udo's eyes fluttered shut at the feeling, Yuna's lips warm on his already heated chest.
"That's my line." He gently quipped. "You didn't have to do anything; you never will. You're my heart...It's been written in the stars for a long time we're supposed to be together." His voice was soft, and Yuna melted at the love she could hear drip from it.
"As foretold by the Phoenix..." Yuna finished the old Dark Fey folklore in a whisper, smiling softly. The Phoenix, encased in her amber prison within the Cavernous Nest came to Yuna's mind, and she almost shivered at the intimidating image.
A calming feeling settled within Yuna;
"I'm ready to go back, Udo." Her voice was still a whisper.
Wordlessly, Udo bent his head to capture her lips with his own, and Yuna got the message whole heartedly.
"Then I'm going to."
Gods, she loved this fey.
They gently pulled apart, sharing a tender smile before diving right back in.
Yuna pawed at Udo's robes, and the fey caught her hand unsurely.
"Wait." He whispered against her lips, and Yuna made a noise of frustration.
Udo scoffed in amusement at Yuna's pout.
"You've had a long night, I want you to rest." Udo tried to reason. "You're emotional right now, Yuna. You have a lot on your mind, and a lot you need to think about. I don't want to take advantage of that."
"I'm letting you take advantage of it." She quipped right back, and Udo blinked.
His girl was certainly getting bolder.
"I'm fine, Udo...help me forget..." Yuna almost whined in his ear, and Udo gulped.
Her words mirrored a plea she had made to him that same night, only this time...this took on a much more sultry concept.
"I don't want to think about tomorrow. I don't want to think about Miyagata or what might be waiting for us there...just help me forget about it for awhile. Please." Yuna's lips pressed to Udo's collarbone again, and the fey sighed in admission.
Perhaps he couldn't let her forget what happened on Miyagata...but he could help her forget her troubles for the night.
"Okay." Udo let the girl push his robes aside. "I'll help you forget; just for tonight..."
Yuna let Udo push her back on the bed, Yuna humming in appreciation as he claimed her lips with his own.
'I have to stop giving in and giving her whatever she wants all the time...' The thought crossed Udo's mind momentarily, but he quickly dispelled it.
'No. She deserves everything.'
Udo tossed his robes to the side, the two wasting no time as Yuna's desperate needs overpowered his desire for any prolonged foreplay.
Udo easily ripped the front of her blouse down, Yuna helping the fey shrug her out of her delicate bra as Udo ran his hot tongue over one of her perked nipples.
Yuna bit back a moan, hand coming to card through his hair in appreciation as she let her head fall back.
"The others?" She asked breathlessly.
Udo only paused his kisses to her breasts for a moment, immediately latching back on to them when he answered like he couldn't stand to be detached from Yuna.
"In the spare rooms. They're probably asleep by now."
Yuna eyes fluttered shut as Udo's teeth scraped against her chest, silently thanking the stars.
'Don't need them overhearing...'
Yuna moaned out hotly as Udo's hand roamed down to her panty covered mound, hiking up her skirt as he began to gently rub her. His finger applied pressure to her sensitive clit, and Yuna opened her legs wider to welcome in the pleasure.
She reopened her eyes, watching as Udo sucked hickies and bruises onto her breasts possessively (it turned her on more than she wanted to admit), letting the fey bite a particularly large one between the valley of her chest before bringing his face back up to lock their lips.
Udo's tongue easily pushed past Yuna's plump lips, the hand that wasn't busy playing with her coming up to brush away the loose strands of hair on her face.
Their lips stayed connected even when Udo expertly pushed her panties to the side, the finger he slipped inside of Yuna welcomed wholeheartedly. It made his heart burst with pride; the fact that Yuna's body was so used to him, molding to his shape and accepting him perfectly.
Udo easily slipped in a second finger, pumping and stretching in and out of Yuna at a steady pace as she airily sighed.
Yuna sat up on her elbows, Udo sitting up with her as she carefully palmed at his hardening member.
The pressure and feel of his heart's hand on him never ceased to make Udo moan lowly, his head dropping to her shoulder as the movement of his fingers sped up slightly.
Yuna pressed a kiss to Udo's pointed ear, feeling his hot breath cast onto her neck as a sheen of sweat began to overtake him. It was a truly intimate position; the two of them getting the other off while being so tightly pressed together. Udo was sitting up on his knees, head bent into the crook of her neck and fingers thrusting into her while Yuna's spread legs were on either sides of his hips; feet planted firmly on the bed. She was sat up as she pumped and palmed Udo with just the perfect amount of speed and pressure, gently kissing at his ear as the two shared an appreciative moan.
Yuna almost saw white as Udo pressed at the part inside of her that made her feel like she may faint from pleasure, biting hard enough into her lip to draw blood as Udo smirked in victory.
It was short lived though, as a particularly teasing rub at his reddened head made Udo gasp out, moaning Yuna's name under his breath like a prayer as he bit hard onto her neck. Yuna felt the smallest drip of precum spurt from Udo's slit, smearing it around the member's head with her thumb as Udo sighed out again.
"Yuna...!"
Gingerly, almost to repay the favor, Udo slipped a third finger inside of Yuna, the girl hissing out at the intrusion. Udo paused his movements only for a moment, only resuming once Yuna nuzzled into his hair to let him know she was alright to continue. She moaned against his horns as he crooked his fingers, rubbing and abusing the sensitive spot inside of her until she felt numb to her toes.
Yuna kissed at his horns, hand coming around to rub at the spot between his winged shoulder blades and trace his scars lovingly. Her lips went to his ear again, increasing her pace on Udo's member as she coyly cupped the fey's balls, squeezing gently.
Udo growled, Yuna gasping out as he pushed her back on the bed and hurriedly removed his fingers from her. Udo ripped away her skirt almost frantically, watching as Yuna kicked out of her wet panties before he bent his head between her legs. Udo kissed at her outer lips gently before laving at them with his tongue.
Yuna whimpered into a moan, her whole body hot as Udo's tongue expertly lapped and kissed her sex. They were both desperate, all the times they'd had sex and this time was by far the most messy and simply needy. It was hot, heated, and the two chased after their sweet release with little to no hesitation.
Udo gave her sex a few more thick licks with his tongue, fingers pushing back her folds to gently press his tongue in and out of her.
He groaned as Yuna moaned out loud enough to alert other ears, thrusting his tongue in and out of her before retracting. He gave his reddened member, almost screaming for release with precum leaking at the sides a few wet pumps before lining himself up with his heart. He just barely went to press the head inside before Yuna's hands pushed at his sweaty and toned chest.
"Wait...Udo..."
Even in the deepest pits of his lust and need for her, Udo halted immediately upon hearing Yuna's plea. His eyes went to her reddened face, taking in her blown out pupils and dewy skin with appreciation as he quirked a brow.
"What's wrong?" He questioned, voice rough from desire.
Yuna gulped, momentarily looking unsure as she sat herself back up. She pushed at Udo's chest again, the fey catching onto what she wanted as he slowly seated himself back onto the bed and Yuna crawled into top of him; their positions shifting.
Her cheeks were red, gazing unsurely at Udo who almost melted from how cute the expression looked on her.
"...Wanna be on top." Yuna muttered, grinding against Udo's member as he moaned hotly at the idea.
Yuna, bare and beautiful and bouncing on top of his member for only his eyes to see...Udo thought he could die a happy fey.
She kissed his cheek affectionately, and Udo blinked as a surge of desire knotted in his stomach and almost threatened to explode.
"An assertive Yuna..." He noted in astonishment, gripping at her hips lovingly but hard enough to bruise. "It's great." Udo's eyes screamed with adoration, and Yuna's blush deepened.
"D-Don't get used to it!" She stuttered, gulping thickly as she saw Udo's eyes dart to her breasts possessively.
She rocked against him again,
"Are you comfortable?" She asked softly, making sure that Udo laying back on the bed wasn't hurting his winged back.
Udo smiled coyly. "Never better." He whispered, hands coming up from her hips to her breasts as he squeezed them.
Yuna's legs tightened as she straddled him, airily moaning as Udo's eyes darkened.
"Gods, you're so beautiful..." His hands glided down her stomach, palming the skin there lovingly. "Better keep it down. I don't want anyone else in the castle knowing what kind of noises you make." Udo whispered hotly, hands coming to her hips again as Yuna pushed herself up.
She smiled through her lust, "Please, you'd love it if people heard." She steadied herself over Udo's member, his head brushing against her core.
Udo chuckled breathlessly. "You're right. Doesn't matter, you're mine anyways." He strained out a moan as Yuna slowly sat herself on top of him, the girl wincing through the insertion.
No matter how many times they did it, Udo was still large; and while Yuna loved it, it didn't change the fact that the initial intrusion would always be a bit uncomfortable.
Udo rubbed her hip bones encouragingly, Yuna gasping out as she was only halfway down.
"You got it, baby..." Udo almost moaned out the encouragement, and the pet name made Yuna whimper.
She took in a steady breath, pushing herself all the way down as her and Udo shared a guttural moan. There was no greater feeling than Udo being inside her, and Yuna wrapping around him so tightly.
"Good girl...that's it..." Udo groaned, Yuna hot and tight and so sweet around his throbbing member. "Can I move?"
Yuna's fingernails dig into Udo's chest as she straddled him, not trusting her voice to speak as she nodded.
Udo's hips began to move beneath her, and Yuna whimpered out in pleasure. She caught onto his rhythm easily, bouncing up and down on Udo's length hotly as she moaned out again.
Udo sighed out in appreciation at the view; watching Yuna's pretty face contort with pleasure and her milky breasts bounce as she moved herself up and down on him. His finger came to pinch at her pink nipple, and Yuna could've cried.
He watched as her hips moved passionately with his own, eyes scrunching shut in pleasure as a moan bubbled from his throat. "So beautiful...all mine..."
Udo hissed as Yuna's nails scrapped down his chest, unable to help himself as he pushed himself up to take one of Yuna's supple breasts into his mouth once more, like he was addicted.
Yuna sighed at that, their hips slapping against each other as Udo brought his hands down to grip into the plump meat of her bottom.
Yuna's hands found purchase on the fey's broad shoulders, any worries in her mind forgotten as Udo's member moved within her. The only thing on her conscious was Udo, Udo, Udo...
"Ah! Mm, Udo!"
Udo licked up her chest, kissed at her jaw before capturing her lips through a pleasure filled gasp.
The bed creaked as their skin slapped together, Udo's hips picking up the pace as Yuna slid up and down on his thick length with vigor.
His kissed at her lips again and again,
"Love you..." He whispered, features scrunching from pleasure. "Love you, Yuna..."
Yuna breathed hotly against his wet lips. "Love you too..."
Udo hugged her tightly, Yuna embracing him back as she rode him to orgasm.
Her walls tightened around Udo, and he brokenly moaned as Yuna cried into his shoulder.
Udo's cock easily hit the spot in Yuna that made her scream; the girl nearly in tears as the knot within her stomach finally released and drenched Udo's length with her essence, moaning out as she rode through her climax.
Yuna's walls clenched around him like a skin tight glove, and Udo could've passed out from the pleasure.
Yuna became lax from her orgasm, gasping and moaning as she came and Udo wasn't far behind her. He laid her back down, throwing one of her legs over his shoulder as he felt his reserves snap; balls slapping hard against her skin as he thrust roughly into her.
Their moans echoed throughout the castle halls, Yuna laid out beneath him in full display as tears of delight (luckily replacing her tears of frustration just minutes prior) poured down her face.
"Y-Yes! Udo, harder!" She cried out, Udo throwing his head back in a groan as he snapped his hips against her furiously.
Udo only made it a few rough thrusts before his seed shot into Yuna in thick and hot strands, the fey removing his cock from within her to coat her breasts and stomach with the cum as well. 
He shuddered through his release, Yuna spent and weary beneath him as she watched the white substance drip from her chest, and felt it drip out of her pulsing core.
Udo drank in the sight with appreciation, every part of Yuna's being, inside and out belonging to him.
He chuckled as Yuna whined for him, hands grasping up to him as Udo took her into his arms and embraced her lovingly, kissing at her sweaty tresses tenderly.
"My head hurts again..." Yuna muttered out, and Udo laughed.
"Let's get your cleaned up." He kissed her temple, retrieving a nearby tea towel left on a forgotten tray on the night stand.
He dragged the rag across her chest, chuckling when Yuna slapped his arm as he allowed himself another squeeze. He wiped away at his seed splattered over her stomach, then gave her core a firm wipe as Yuna blushed heavily; the thick cum dripping from her leaving her feeling hot as Udo wiped it up.
Udo discarded it to a nearby laundry bin, lazily climbing back to into the bed with Yuna as he sighed.
"You're amazing." He breathed, throwing the covers over them as Yuna snuggled her head into his chest. "I want another round in the morning..."
His arms wrapped around her waist, and Yuna blinked tiredly. "We probably won't be able to be together like this for awhile, between Miyagata and the journey there and back." She kissed at one of his pecs. "Thank you, Udo..."
His hands rubbed out her sore muscles beneath the covers, Yuna entwining their bare legs together. "Do you...feel a bit better?" He prompted quietly.
Yuna smiled, her eyes still closed.
"Yes."
Resolve burned in her.
"If you're by my side, I can do anything. I'm going to Miyagata in the morning, Udo. It's my duty, to the crown and to my family." She lifted her head to smile at the Fey, and Udo almost bursted with pride at the words. "To myself too."
Udo leaned to press his lips to her slick forehead, hugging her tightly. "I'm so proud of you..." He tucked her head beneath his chin. "Together then. We'll face whatever comes with tomorrow together."
Yuna could hear the distant crash of ocean waves from the open balcony doors; the November air cool on her's and Udo's hot skin.
"That's the only way I'll ever want to do it." She whispered, sleep overtaking her as Udo watched her with loving eyes.
'I'm taking everything back. Tomorrow, when we set off for Miyagata...I'll do it without any fear.'
Yuna felt Udo's magic begin to wrap around her once more; soothing her into a calming slumber as he hummed gently.
'No matter what comes with these mercenaries, no matter what awaits us.'
Udo danced into her mind, then their dearest friends.
'Together, there isn't a single thing that can stop us.'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ship rocked steadily under the calm night waves, and the girl furrowed her brows as she inspected the water with a gnaw to her lip.
"Captain...You're sure about this?"
A voice echoed to her side, but she didn't register it. Her heartbeat increased slightly, and she released a shaky breath.
There was no mistaking it. She could recognize that ship anywhere; she would never forget it.
Sails the color of blood.
"Mina?"
She snapped from her daze, glancing to the crew mate at her side.
"Sorry." Mina bowed her head, eyes shutting slowly.
"Yes...I'm sure." She whispered.
"He's back. I was hoping he'd gone off and died on some island he pillaged after he fell off the radar a few years ago, but...I fear my hopes were too over the top." Her hands fell to the ship's wooden rail, and she gripped at it so tightly it almost splintered over her hold.
"Bastard...!"
The crew-mate laid a comforting hand to her shoulder, their cloaks whipping in the sea's strong breeze.
"It'll be okay. We sent out a distress call to Ulstead; they should be at Miyagata within just a few days." She assured her. "Keep your head above the water; you can't let this get to you, Mina...."
"I'm aware." Mina sighed out. "Thank you. Go set a course back to Miyagata, alert the citizens about what's going on with the meeting. Don't divulge too much; you'll create mass hysteria."
The girl bowed.
"Yes, Captain."
Her heels clicked away, and Mina's eyes tiredly scanned the open sea.
'I won't let you take everything away from me again.' She glared fiercely out to the sea, almost spitting with disgust as she pushed herself away from the railing marching away with a burning determination.
'Finally coming out of hiding after all these years, Azazel? I'm ready for you this time. I'll kill you this time.'
A familiar girl with ruby hair matching her own flashed through her conscious. Then a boy with midnight hair and kind eyes, a couple with the warmest smiles. Mina clutched her chest.
She ripped her burgundy hair out of its short ponytail, nearly breaking the boards beneath her feet as she stomped.
'You can count on that.'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
17k 🥺 ily guys!!! Thank you thank you!! <3
Yay! I'm so happy I was able to get a chapter out this week for all of you! : )
I finally can put in a big reveal that I hope wasn't too corny, and I can't wait to write the next few chapters! Also hope the smut was appreciated 🙈
In these uncertain times, I hope my story is able to take your mind off things like it does for me to write it. Stay safe everyone ❤️
Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! I was so excited writing this; and I loved finally making the Mina reveal official! The gang sets out for Miyagata in the next chapter, and another familiar face will come back 😉 can't wait for everyone to read it!!
Also of course Udo wouldn't take Yuna's memories away, come on guys give my boy some more credit.
Show your support if you want, thank you to everyone who supports me and this story ❤️ I'll see you all in the next chapter so stay tuned!!!!
~Akahana