Chapter 1

"Charlotte and Eddie were both lovely souls. We will miss them every single day. I cannot imagine life without them. Charlotte was a crazy, sweet girl, with a bright personality. She could make you smile, from your whole heart, even on bad days. Eddie, was just the same. He was always filled with great advice, and thoughtful actions. Together they were Charlotte and Eddie, crazy, sweet, loving, caring and inseparable.
Their laughs were much funnier than their hilarious jokes. Weren't they?" Christine adds to her memorial speech, wiping a tear off her now smiling face at the sweet thought.
Everyone joins in with a small laughter and smiles with tears on their faces.

Eddie who happens to be Christine's brother, and his wife, Charlotte were both detectives. They've got two kids. Emma, six years old, and Kiara, 3 years old.

"You are the best brother in the whole universe. I wouldn't have asked for anything better in my life. You made it perfect. I miss you my big brother. I miss you. But I'm glad you left as a man married to an amazing woman and a father of two beautiful kids whom you both parented so well.
Together they were like fire, ice, either way, strong and fierce. You've left me these two kids. And I will take care of them. They aren't like my own, but they are my own. Just as you both were. I love you, forever and always. Always..." she ends her speech.

She walks up to me as everyone goes back to their own discussions.
"Nigella!" She calls my name, coming for a hug. "It's so good to see you! Thank you for being here. It really means a lot to me!"

"It's good to see you too Chris." Short for Christine. "And of course being here is a must!" I respond.

Christine has been my friend since junior high. We went to high school together, and then college together. After leaving college, meeting each other was difficult. Since our lives got busier with our occupations.
I took up a job as a consultative lawyer for firms, Christine became a detective investigator. And here I am, attending her brother's and his wife's funeral.

"They loved their jobs. Eddie and Charly. They sacrificed their lives for it." Christine states, wiping away the tears on her face, again.
"That reminds me! How would you like to join us?" She asks me.

"Join you? What do you mean?" I'm left with questions and only questions of what she meant.

Apparently the offer was to join them as a detective investigator. A senior detective.
"Law and criminology. We took our classes together back in college. You'd perform extremely well as a detective. Plus now that Eddie and Charlotte aren't here anymore, we need a hand. You're the best for this!" She explains the job offer.
Despite liking my own profession and enjoying it, I also would love to work as a detective. But it's a major decision to be made. So I explain myself, to her. And she agreed that I had to think on it.

So I have to inform them of my decision in two weeks time.
Guess I have a lot of thinking to do!