Chapter 3

"Nigey!" I hear someone scream from behind me, as I walk away.
I turn around to spot Christine walk hurriedly towards me.

"I'm sorry I didn't inform you! I wonder how I even forgot something so important! I've just been busy with stuff, this didn't cross my mind at all!" She explains.

And as pissed as I am, I can't blame her. She has a lot going on now, so I can't pin it down on her.

"Don't do that! Don't be sorry. We would've probably ran into each other somewhere, some day. That's life! It's all good." I respond.
And she reaches out to hug me.
I pat her on the back and leave to arrange my things.

It wasn't a brilliant start. The first day at work!
But I'd have to get used to working with Jason. Not like I can help it.
My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the door to my lab.
I look up from my files on the desk to face Jason who's standing behind the glass door.
He points inside the lab with his index finger, as a gesture to get permission to come inside.

Nooo! What do I do?

"Come in!" I speak. Finally!

"Hello!" He says walking towards me.

"Hey! How can I help you?"

He doesn't answer me, he looks at my face instead, and gives a smile, more like a smirk. It was never evident to me, if he's just smiling or if he's smirking.

I shake my head in question.

"God you have pretty eyes!" He says, still smiling.

"Thank you! Is that what you're here for? To describe how I look?" I ask him.

"No!" He laughs as he drops a file on my desk. "You're very first case. Come with me now, we have to go visit our clients. You can read what's in there, on the way." He walks to the door and holds it open, for me to walk out.
So I walk out with the file.
He closes the door behind us, and smirks, walks again afterwards.
I can't help but narrow my eyes at what he just did.
How amazing this is gonna be! Ugh!

We leave in Jason's car, but lucky for me, we don't have to talk to each other since he gets a phone call just as the car is out of the parking lot. I chose to educate myself with what we are dealing.
Katarina Wilson, aged 33, filed a case regarding the death of her husband.
Andrew Wilson 40 years old, was shot in his heart, bled himself to death.
They've got two kids, Alicia aged 2, and Marcus, aged 4.

Prime suspects include -
Monica Adler, aged 32. She was having an affair with Andrew Wilson.
John Adler, aged 35, lawfully married to Monica Adler.

About fifteen minutes later we arrive at the house of Katarina Wilson, the woman who filed the case.
Jason brings the call to an end.
"Sorry about that!" He apologises to me and knocks on the door.

When he's not trying to annoy me with his mean attitude, he seems like a much better person. An actual gentlemen.
Only when he's not working, when a nice attitude takes over him for like a millisecond or so probably.

"You wanna do the talking?" He asks me.

"Why don't I just watch?" I respond. Not in a rude tone, for the first time!

A woman with long, straight blonde hair opens the door.

"Yes?" She asks. She's dressed in a pretty floral dress. She looks quite innocent I'd say.

"Detective Jason and my partner, Detective Nigella." Jason introduces while showing his identity to the woman.

"Hello!" I say shaking hands with her.

"Was expecting y'all. Come on in!" She welcomes us.

"After you." Jason tells me.
I step inside and he follows me.