Dakota

When you really think about, Seabrook is basically picture perfect. Every house has the white picket-fence; every person has a perfect face and perfect attire. Perfect, perfect, perfect. This was all swell until the arrival of zombies in Seabrook. Suddenly, we had people battling the status quo. And who was Joan of Arc in all of this? My sister, Addison.

"Dakota? Dakota! It's almost time to go."

I'm standing at the opening of the camp, contemplating the walk back to Seabrook and if the blisters were actually worth it.

"Come on!"

Addison grabs my arm and tugs me towards where everybody else was. Don't get me wrong; I love to cheer, it's just I would rather have a regular sleep schedule like everyone else.

"Good morning! And welcome to cheer camp starring me, Bucky!"

Cheers and screams trifled through the crowd and I shirked back by the loudness of everything. It's annoying.

"In these very woods lie dormant hairy monsters, just waiting for the perfect moment to strike a poor, defenseless, cheerleader.."

Terrified gasps rippled through the crowds, cheerleaders holding onto one another.

"I'm just kidding, there's no such thing as those monsters. But, you better believe we're gonna break you down and build you back up to be the peppy cheerleaders you get to be."

I'm genuinely rolling my eyes at how self-centered my cousin can be.

"Like.. Lacey, Stacey, and JC!"

One by one, my cousin's minions go on stage and display their fake smiles and perfect teeth. It's disgusting.

"Acey's, you guys are going to lead veteran team and my dearest cousins', you guys will be leading the.. Z Team."

Bucky spoke with such distaste that it made me sick. The man cannot accept that there may be things that are completely out of his control.

"I'm not anti-change, I'm just... pro keeping things the way they are".

I rolled my eyes; seriously, how self-centered can he be?

"Alright, let's begin!"

It was a cheer-off between the veteran team and the Z team. As each team was racing to finish for the Cheer Camp trophy, it came to crossing the tightrope. As the Z team approached the tightrope, it was up to Addison to lead us across the tightrope. Granted, I knew how to do it, but for the sake of character development, Addison had to be the one to do it.

"Come on Acey's, you can't be afraid to get those jazz hands dirty!"

The Acey's scoffed as they were soaked to the bone in mud and the Z Team stood there, nice and clean. Addison and I smirked as we watched Bucky approached us with the Cheer Camp Trophy.

"Well cousins, you guys won".

We were excited; the JV team had finally won the Cheer Camp Cup and we were proud. Of course, Bucky had to make it about himself.

"All right, now let's make this about me. I want to run for student body president; granted, there's an election but I mean, c'mon. So, while I rule the school, someone is going to have to replace me as cheer captain."

Of course, the moment Bucky said this, all the Acey's started prancing around begging for one of them to his successor. But, Bree (with her annoying voice), spoke up and nominated Addison.

"We need a captain that's going to build a united squad; someone like Addison!"

The crowd went wild as most everyone agreed with this idea and so did I; if anyone deserved the Cheer Captain spot, it belonged to Addison.

Addison had the biggest smile on her face, who was I to not smile back? I smiled genuinely, but also a part of me wanted to go home; I was sick of cheering at this moment. We all started packing onto the bus and as we were driving, I kept getting the sick feeling that someone was watching us, and it sent shivers up my arms. But, my thoughts were interrupted by Bree's loud, perky voice.

"Look Addison!"

There was a sign, asking Addison a question, which, could basically be inferred as Zed asking Addison to Prawn.

"Addison, Will....You....Go To....The Prawn....With". Bree and Addison were cut short by the cheer bus hitting Zed standing on a ladder, diverting us to the Forbidden Forest, where we just went deeper and deeper into the forest. Screams were blaring, branches hitting and breaking against the bus, it was terrifying to say the least. Finally, the bus stopped in a bush and who was the first one out the door? With no surprise, Bucky immediately launched himself out the bus.

"Nothing can happen to me because I'm way to important".

With Bucky gone, it was up to Addison to step up to be the leader I didn't want to be.

"Everyone, we have to remain calm!"

With that, I immediately threw myself out the bus and took off towards the road, down the path that the bus created. Going down the path for a little under 5 minutes, I stopped and it dawned on me that I was lost in the Forbidden Forest and it kind of freaked me out. I was spinning out and freaking out when I heard a branch snap.

"Please tell me that there isn't some murderous psycho who happens to live in these woods".

What? Can you honestly tell me anyone else wouldn't do the same? After these thoughts, a woman comes out of the bushes along with a couple of other people. The woman and I make ye contact, her eyes dilate a bit before a loud howl emits from her causing everyone else to howl out as well. The group takes a couple of steps toward me before branches start breaking rapidly, signaling someone coming towards us really fast. I make eye contact with the woman again before she's gone and I come face-to-face with Addison, Zed, Bree and everyone else.

"Dakota, are you okay? What happened?"

I shake my head in disbelief, completely  dumbfounded by what just happened.

"I don't know. I really don't know."