10

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬

Ava was conflicted. And it was not a good time to be conflicted. She understood how urgent this was, she really did... but the people they were fighting against? This was her family!

Tony Stark, the Iron Man... to her, he was just Tony. The very same Tony that had helped her when she thought the stages of panic she got were unnatural, strange. How could she fight against him? She knew she had to do it. She did know. But it didn't make it easier.

Tony, however, was furious when he found out through the comms that the almighty Steve Rogers — Captain America, for God's sake! — had brought Ava from the safety of her new home to fight with him and his band of madmen.

Sure, somebody could say the same about him bringing Peter — but the difference is that this young girl had been tortured from a young age, and suffered from PTSD.

Tony had to take a deep breath as he and Rhodey descended in front of Steve — he couldn't let his anger get the best of him.

"Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?" Tony asked mockingly, as everybody in the vicinity knew that this was orchestrated.

"Definitely weird." Rhodey responded, nodding at his best friend in joking confirmation.

"Hear me out, Tony." Steve spoke up, trying to make the man listen. "That doctor, the psychiatrist — he's behind all of this."

Quickly, T'Challa - the new king of Wakanda - leapt over a truck, wearing his Black Panther suit.
"Captain." He greeted in a neutral tone, making Steve's eyes harden.

"Your highness."

"Anyway," Tony cut into their interaction, "Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in. That was 24 hours ago. Can you help a brother out?" He asked, but deep down, he knew that Steve was too stubborn. He'd never surrender.

"You're after the wrong guy." Steve told the group, as he knew that Bucky Barnes did not commit this crime that he was being accused of. Although his childhood best friend is far from innocent... he wouldn't do this. Not now.

"Your judgement is askew. Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday!" Tony instantly replied, growing more and more angry at the man he would've usually called a friend.

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him. I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't." Steve insisted, voice stern and unchanging. He wouldn't back down.

Natasha approaches from the side, obviously having listened in on the conversation.
"Steve... you know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?" She asked, attempting to knock some sense into the super soldier.

Tony didn't have the patience to wait for Steve to disagree with her. "Alright, I've run out of patience. Underoos!"

Quickly, somebody in a red and blue suit jumped out as they shot a web at the famous Captain America and his shield, pulling it out of Steve's hands and over to himself as he landed on a truck. As it turned out, it was a cool move, because not only had he stolen the man's shield, but he had also webbed his hands up.

"Nice job, kid." Tony complimented, looking over quickly to the teenager holding the shield in his hands.

"Thanks! Well— I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit... well, it's nothing, Mr Stark! It's— it's perfect. Thank you." The boy rambled on, soon backtracking in his own panic.

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation." Tony replied tightly — he soon realised that this kid hadn't been in a real battle before.

"Okay. Cap... Captain. Big fan. I'm Spider Man." The boy introduced, gesturing to himself as he looked at Steve.

"Yeah, we'll talk about that later, just..." he trailed off as the boy waved a hand.

"Hey, everyone." He greeted cheerfully, as if this wasn't a very serious issue — a life or death situation?

"...Good job." Tony finished with a sigh, fully prepared to send the boy back home now. But he knew he needed all the help he could get, including Spider Man.

"You've been busy." Steve acknowledged, nodding to where Spider Man — Peter Parker — stood with his shield.

"And you've been a complete idiot!" Tony snapped at him, "Dragging in Clint. Taking Ava from her new home. 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place! I'm trying to keep... I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart." Tony ranted, making Steve's lips turn into a slight frown.

Instead of finally surrendering, preventing a battle between family, Steve said, "You did that when you signed."

"Alright, we're done." Tony spoke, angry and impatient. "You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us. NOW! Because it's us, or a squad of J-SOC guys. With no compunction about being impolite." He demanded, growing angrier as Steve looked away from him and off to the side.
"Come on."

Meanwhile, Ava and Pietro stood just at the border of the airport where the former friends were stood. The group of them were just specs in the distance to the duo, who were waiting for their queue.

"You okay, little one?" Pietro spoke, seeing Ava fidgeting where she stood. She was both nervous and also rearing to go — full to the brim with pure power.

Ava nodded absently, her eyes focused intently on the people in the distance. She didn't know what to do... could she even go through with this?

"Ava." Pietro said sternly, bringing her attention over to him. She sighed at the look on his face, knowing that he was going into that overprotective mode. It didn't come out that often... but it wasn't uncommon.

"Piet?" She questioned, eyebrows raised in question.

"Can you do this?" Pietro decided on asking, because if she couldn't... he'd take her home right now.

Ava nodded her head, completely sure. She had to do this. Bucky Barnes was innocent — and she had the knowledge from his head to know for sure.
"I can— I will." She stated, completely firm on her decision.

"Well," Pietro finally said, gazing passed her head and into the distance, where he saw Captain America's arms raised in the air.
"It's our time to shine, little one." She smiled faintly at his words, and jumped onto his back so he could run the two of them over to their team.

Maybe it was a mistake... but she'd be damned if she let anything happen to Bucky Barnes.