20

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬

FINAL CHAPTER.
this is not the end.

When Ava woke up, it wasn't because a phantom pain was clawing at her throat, making her cough and choke on oxygen. It was because her body had slept a full sleep cycle — and had woken her up naturally.

And she still felt tired, but that was normal. Ava also felt relieved. She felt like things would be okay. They were getting on well, living for the past few weeks in large rooms in the Wakandan Palace.

Ava had spent a large section of her time with Shuri — it wasn't like the girl was much older than her. Only a couple years. And it was nice to have somebody relate to normal teenager things.

And although Shuri was a genius, and often used words she had to simplify for Ava, they became good friends.

Shuri taught Ava some simple things — things she had missed out on for being kidnapped at such a young age. For being kept in a dingy base, where education was not necessary — being taught to kill was.

Luckily, HYDRA didn't get all that far in corrupting Ava, because not long after her powers developed, the Avengers appeared and destroyed the base.

This is it, Ava thought, the last moment of peace in Wakanda.

She was nervous to leave the safe haven — rightfully so, of course, because she was technically a fugitive. And Ava was painfully aware of how dark the world really was.

Pietro felt similarly. He hadn't been able to protect her when they had been imprisoned — she was the one protecting him! So he worried about her and her safety.

He wished he could give her the life she so deserved. But at this point in time, it was just simply not possible.

"Now, we could get Okoye to take you somewhere if you so choose, but it may draw some attention." T'Challa spoke, stood with the duo of fugitives in front of the border keeping Wakanda safe.

"No, no. We have— troubled you enough. Thank you, T'Challa. And you especially, Shuri." Pietro replied, a small smirk on his face. The King frowned, but said nothing.

Their decision to leave was exactly that — theirs.

Ava wanted to know what became of her birth parents. She wanted to know who Experiments One to Four were. She wanted to shut down any bases that were still holding their ground.

And Pietro wanted those things, too. He wanted to make sure that no child would ever suffer like Ava did ever again.

They would brave the endless travelling, the shooting, the lies and deceit together. They were a team — a family.

"We located the base you were searching for," Shuri explained to him, holding her wrist up and gesturing to the projection coming from her bracelet. "It's in Portugal, I can give you exact co-ordinates. Here is a device you can use to help you find it. I will send you the co-ordinates on that. I wish you both the best." Shuri smiled brightly, handing Pietro a sleek clear phone-like device.

"Thank you. So much! You're the best." Ava grinned at the King and Princess of Wakanda. "I'll miss you both. And make sure to give Mr. Bucky a big hug from me when he wakes up!"

The Udaku siblings smiled at the sweet girl — they couldn't help but be proud of her — she had been through much more than any child ever should have.

"Are you sure you must go? My offer still stands. Wakanda will always have you." T'Challa told them, eyes softening slightly as he regards the two of them.

Pietro shares a look with Ava — he knows that she couldn't stay, even if she really wanted to. She needed to find out about her parents. She needed to stop HYDRA.

"We'll be okay. Thank you, for everything." Pietro speaks, his accent much less noticeable as to how it was a few months ago. Oh, how people change.

"Not a problem. Be safe."

And then, the barrier protecting Wakanda is cracked open slightly.

Out into the world they go, Ava turning to wave at the siblings before the barrier blurs back, smothering the image with simple terrain.

TO BE CONTINUED...

see what happens next — INTO DARKNESS.

this is already published on my account! feel free to go have a read! :)

UPDATE: into darkness is temporarily on hold, HOWEVER, "lights up" , the endgame instalment of this series, is now published on my account!

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐒, captain america: civil war [2] ✓ 🎉